1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zombies and math

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    Has anybody noticed that Zombies multiply in an exponential manner?

Btw, I'm new!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    Thats because Zombies are in the rabbit family.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

wouldn't they produce like a fibonacci sequence then?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    A logistic model should take over, as soon as they conquer the planet. You know, zombies always kind of pile up.

7. Mar 2, 2008 #6
    I think it is mostly because it doesn't take 2 zombies to produce a new zombie. All a zombie has to do to produce a new zombie is bite a human. Where as 2 humans have to have relations in order to produce 1 new human.

Start with one zombie, that zombie bites a human and now there are two zombies, those two zombies each bite one human each now you have 4. those 4 zombies bite 1 human each, now you have 8 zombies. Repeat, now 16 zombies, then 32, etc.

8. Mar 2, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have a question! When did a "zombie biting a person produces a new zombie" pop up? I thought that was werewolves. Zombies are created by Voodoo.

9. Mar 2, 2008 #8
    Afaik zobies arise from the dead by vodoo and will infect their victim by killing it so it becomes a zombie in turn. Werewolfes cannot infect people afaik. Vampires hoewever...

10. Mar 2, 2008 #9
    Oh dang, now the population model needs to be stratified by species: humans, zombies, werewolves, vampires... What next? Age groups? Tax levels?

11. Mar 2, 2008 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sigh. You haven't seen many zombie movies, have you?

12. Mar 2, 2008 #11
    Actually you can blame Hollywood for that. Originally Zombies were just the animated dead body and slave of some witch doctor, but now a days they can infect ,such is artistic license. And werewolves infect others with a bite sometimes too, but again there usually more to do with the Dark Satanic arts. Vampires do too, but then they pretty much always have.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  13. Mar 2, 2008 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are being unkind to the werewolves. That their bite is infectious is a modern invention.

Here's a bit of the legends, from wikipedia:

14. Mar 3, 2008 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks, Schrodinger's dog, I rather suspected that. Arildno, I hope I won't get in trouble with the werewolf anti-defamation league!

15. Mar 3, 2008 #14
    Zombies just seem to multiply in an exponential manner. It's because they use an utterly antiquated notation - it's dead, really, no one else uses it. And complicated - you really need to have eight brains to understand it.

16. Mar 3, 2008 #15
    You know, it really does seem to depend on the type of zombie you are referring to.

17. Mar 3, 2008 #16
    People, people, please. We all know that zombies arose from the headcrabs unleashed onto our planet after we lost the seven hour war.

18. Mar 3, 2008 #17

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You win.

19. Mar 3, 2008 #18
    Since we are talking about creating more zombies... what is the gestation period of a zombie? If we consider their "reproductive" rate it must be shorter than that of a lagomorph to see the population explosions Hollywood depicts. We all know Hollywood would never commit any sort of inaccuracy.

Rabbit fun-fact: they are incapable of vomiting

20. Mar 3, 2008 #19
    Well, it really depends on the type of zombie.

You could be talking about the zombies in Dawn of the Dead in which a bite would make another zombie, or you could be talking about 'reanimated' zombies that do not reproduce through biting.

21. Mar 4, 2008 #20

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I'd think their reproductive time-span is quite short, haven't you seen how fast they multiply in the movies?
    But I have a question, when do we have to take global warming in consideration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?