Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zombies and math

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    Has anybody noticed that Zombies multiply in an exponential manner?

Btw, I'm new!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    Thats because Zombies are in the rabbit family.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

wouldn't they produce like a fibonacci sequence then?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    A logistic model should take over, as soon as they conquer the planet. You know, zombies always kind of pile up.

7. Mar 2, 2008 #6
    I think it is mostly because it doesn't take 2 zombies to produce a new zombie. All a zombie has to do to produce a new zombie is bite a human. Where as 2 humans have to have relations in order to produce 1 new human.

Start with one zombie, that zombie bites a human and now there are two zombies, those two zombies each bite one human each now you have 4. those 4 zombies bite 1 human each, now you have 8 zombies. Repeat, now 16 zombies, then 32, etc.

8. Mar 2, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have a question! When did a "zombie biting a person produces a new zombie" pop up? I thought that was werewolves. Zombies are created by Voodoo.

9. Mar 2, 2008 #8
    Afaik zobies arise from the dead by vodoo and will infect their victim by killing it so it becomes a zombie in turn. Werewolfes cannot infect people afaik. Vampires hoewever...

10. Mar 2, 2008 #9
    Oh dang, now the population model needs to be stratified by species: humans, zombies, werewolves, vampires... What next? Age groups? Tax levels?

11. Mar 2, 2008 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sigh. You haven't seen many zombie movies, have you?

12. Mar 2, 2008 #11
    Actually you can blame Hollywood for that. Originally Zombies were just the animated dead body and slave of some witch doctor, but now a days they can infect ,such is artistic license. And werewolves infect others with a bite sometimes too, but again there usually more to do with the Dark Satanic arts. Vampires do too, but then they pretty much always have.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  13. Mar 2, 2008 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are being unkind to the werewolves. That their bite is infectious is a modern invention.

Here's a bit of the legends, from wikipedia:

14. Mar 3, 2008 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks, Schrodinger's dog, I rather suspected that. Arildno, I hope I won't get in trouble with the werewolf anti-defamation league!

15. Mar 3, 2008 #14
    Zombies just seem to multiply in an exponential manner. It's because they use an utterly antiquated notation - it's dead, really, no one else uses it. And complicated - you really need to have eight brains to understand it.

16. Mar 3, 2008 #15
    You know, it really does seem to depend on the type of zombie you are referring to.

17. Mar 3, 2008 #16
    People, people, please. We all know that zombies arose from the headcrabs unleashed onto our planet after we lost the seven hour war.

18. Mar 3, 2008 #17

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You win.

19. Mar 3, 2008 #18
    Since we are talking about creating more zombies... what is the gestation period of a zombie? If we consider their "reproductive" rate it must be shorter than that of a lagomorph to see the population explosions Hollywood depicts. We all know Hollywood would never commit any sort of inaccuracy.

Rabbit fun-fact: they are incapable of vomiting

20. Mar 3, 2008 #19
    Well, it really depends on the type of zombie.

You could be talking about the zombies in Dawn of the Dead in which a bite would make another zombie, or you could be talking about 'reanimated' zombies that do not reproduce through biting.

21. Mar 4, 2008 #20

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I'd think their reproductive time-span is quite short, haven't you seen how fast they multiply in the movies?
    But I have a question, when do we have to take global warming in consideration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?