Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zombies in the US

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Why do all the movies about zombies show them coming from the USA, is the US obsessed with zombies?
    Whats wrong with Canada. Australia, Europe or Asia? Do you guys obsess about zombies ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2
    Re: Zomies

we have a shortage of toilet plungers in the US, so low-budget sci-fi isn't much of an option.

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I have a different impression on zombies. To me they use to come from video games, not movies.
    Here's a future one that shows zombies over an island rather than the US :) : .
    Looks scary to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jun 26, 2011 #4
    Up here in Canada, all we have are moose and mountains and forests. Don't believe me? Watch any recent American movie where Canada plays some small role in it; example: X-men Origins. Every time they have to invent a secret location for tests on mutants, they put it in Canada, and you only see lumber companies or similar things.

Moose make bad zombies. As for other countries, I'm not sure, although I do remember seeing zombie movies based in London.

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

7. Jun 26, 2011 #6
    Yes 28 Days Later is what I was thinking, thanks.

8. Jun 26, 2011 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I missed dead snow, and 28 days later, were they any good? but that dosen't change the fact that most zombie movies are US based.

9. Jun 26, 2011 #8

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Dead snow I've never seen (it looked crap). 28 days later was very good, it's sequel wasn't as good. I wouldn't say any more zombie films were set in the US than films in general are.

10. Jun 26, 2011 #9
  11. Jun 26, 2011 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCe6KcUTgyM

Oh crud, I thought this told the entire story of Narcisse but it just gets into it. Interesting story.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  12. Jun 26, 2011 #11
  13. Jun 26, 2011 #12
    Nonsense. We Americans know you participate in fur trapping and making maple syrup too.

14. Jun 26, 2011 #13
    The reason that most zombie movies are made in the USA is that they are actually made by zombies. Have you been to LA lately?

EDIT: However, I think Vancouver, Canada has a shot at breaking into the zombie movie market.

15. Jun 26, 2011 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

16. Jun 26, 2011 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Um. Replace the word zombies with the wildcard character *, to-wit:

Why do all the movies about * show them coming from the USA, is the US obsessed with *?
    Whats wrong with Canada. Australia, Europe or Asia? Do you guys obsess about *?

Starting to see the pattern?

17. Jun 27, 2011 #16
    A better question would be. Why are zombie movies often successful? Or, why do vampire movies still create interest.

18. Jun 27, 2011 #17
    Hollywood, California, USA

19. Jun 27, 2011 #18

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I live in the middle of Hollywood, so I can tell you, there is no city called Hollywood, California. Hollywood is just the name of a neighborhood; the land lies within Los Angeles proper. But if you address a letter to Hollywood, California, it will still arrive as intended. :P

West Hollywood, however, is a city. And with a majority gay/lesbian population, I believe.

Now that you know these useless facts, you may continue with your zombie thread.

20. Jun 27, 2011 #19
    Where do they keep the movie studios?

21. Jun 27, 2011 #20
    Don't forget "Shaun of the Dead"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook