Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zooby [or Zoobie] the cat

1. Nov 7, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In honor of my good friend Zoobyshoe, and because my wife and I liked the named and we thought it fit, we have named our newest kitty Zooby [or Zoobie, we're not positive about the sex]. A wild, unkempt, and very hungry ~6wk old kitten – a black and grey tabby mix with some kind of long hair I think, probably born to a barn cat - just ran in our back door [animal access] the other night. It has been as low as 20 F at night around here lately. It took about 5 seconds before we decided to keep her. She's a lover.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2003 #2
    On behalf of myself and all the other Zoobies: the honor of having your new kitten named after our kind is one we accept with glad hearts and Zoobie jollification.

-Zooby

4. Nov 8, 2003 #3
    So what's the origin of this name? Very cool name.

Mine's very easy to figure out if you're at all familiar with Taoism/Buddhism. It's just an offshoot of the word Zen. All things in life are balanced.

5. Nov 8, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where did Zooby go? Anyway, here you go.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5122

6. Nov 8, 2003 #5
    And so, the origin of the name is a mishearing of something the doctor actually said, but no one seems to know what that was:

Someone at the San Diego Reader was looking through the BFRO files, found out about the handfull of bigfoot sightings in San Diego County, and decided to do a short article about them, just for fun. It was titled: "Big, Hairy Zoobie" and had the famous frame from the Patterson Bigfoot film as an illustration.

After that article appeared everyone seemed to fall in love with the name. (1996, I think). I tried to get an E-Mail account on Yahoo as "Zoobie" and found there were about 200 people ahead of me. So, instead of becoming Zoobie 201, I looked for a more creative variation.

-Zooby

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  7. Nov 8, 2003 #6

FZ+

Of course, that is just the official story, isn't it, Agent Zoobyshoe?:wink:

8. Nov 8, 2003 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

Is "Zoobie jollification" (could that also be termed Zoobification?)anything like Zoobie jocularity?

9. Nov 8, 2003 #8
    Someones just asking for a visit from three somber men in long black overcoats.

10. Nov 8, 2003 #9
    Jollification is festivity; merrymaking.

"Zoobification" would be the changing of that which is not a zoobie into a zoobie, or the induction of zooboid qualities in something that does not originally possess them. Ivan Seeking might "Zoobify" his new kitten, for example, by photographing it, but declaring all the photographs to be hoaxes or possible hoaxes. He might also "Zoobify" it by recording its vocalizaions and analyze them to prove they could not have been produced by a human, bear, or simian vocal apparatus. If he keeps this up that kitty will believe it is a Zoobie.

11. Nov 8, 2003 #10
    LOL, I always wondered about that name.

12. Nov 8, 2003 #11
    That's pretty cool. Maybe Zoobie was actually el chupra diablo=)

Zoiks! Zoobie-Doo, where are you? So does that mean when you scarf some snack foods, you're having a Zoobie snack?

Ok..that will be enough caffeine for me...

13. Nov 9, 2003 #12
    What's "el chupra diablo" and who do you mean? Me or the cat?
    Are you talking to me or the cat?
    When you say "snack foods" do you mean potato chips or meow mix?
    You sure that's all you been drinkin'?

14. Nov 9, 2003 #13
    I think Zantra means:
    1) an actual Zooby/ie
    2) you
    3) you
    4) no
    #2 and #3 are probably rhetorical

15. Nov 11, 2003 #14
    Just out of curiosity, where does the "shoe" come in?

16. Nov 11, 2003 #15
    The "foot", where else??

17. Nov 11, 2003 #16
    There were, as I said, 200+ "Zoobies" and already several "Zoobys" so I wanted to think up some way of still using the name without putting a number behind it. I didn't want to be "Zoobie 2001" or "Zooby 9", so the name Zooby Shoe came to mind because of the comical size such a shoe would have, and I put it together as one word, and decided on all lowercase letters.

18. Nov 11, 2003 #17
    You can't tell me you don't know chupra after spending so much time in the m&P forum? hehe

I'm talking to you.
    And I'm not sure what you snack on, so take your pick:wink:

*sniffs mug*

I THOUGHT this pop was a little strong.. no wonder!

19. Nov 12, 2003 #18
    "el chupra diablo" means "the sucking devil" and is better known as "el chupracabra/s" meaning "the goat-sucker" which is a big thing in cryptozoology. Many have claimed to see, and therefore believe to exist, a weird creature, I'd describe it as being like a giant iguana with a classic alien-type head, that sucks the blood from livestock of all sorts, completely exsanguinating them. It is supposed to live in Central/South America and the Caribbean, but I don't think it has ever been determined how long it lives, how it breeds, if it really is related to aliens, etc.

20. Nov 12, 2003 #19
    Yes, I've heard of the cupacabra, of course. I'd never heard it called "el chupra diablo".

21. Nov 12, 2003 #20
    Well, I could be wrong, I have never heard it that way either, but "the sucking devil" sounds to me like "the goat-sucker".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?