Zooby [or Zoobie] the cat

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

In honor of my good friend Zoobyshoe, and because my wife and I liked the named and we thought it fit, we have named our newest kitty Zooby [or Zoobie, we're not positive about the sex]. A wild, unkempt, and very hungry ~6wk old kitten – a black and grey tabby mix with some kind of long hair I think, probably born to a barn cat - just ran in our back door [animal access] the other night. It has been as low as 20 F at night around here lately. It took about 5 seconds before we decided to keep her. She's a lover.

Answers and Replies

On behalf of myself and all the other Zoobies: the honor of having your new kitten named after our kind is one we accept with glad hearts and Zoobie jollification.

-Zooby

So what's the origin of this name? Very cool name.

Mine's very easy to figure out if you're at all familiar with Taoism/Buddhism. It's just an offshoot of the word Zen. All things in life are balanced.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Zantra
So what's the origin of this name? Very cool name.

Mine's very easy to figure out if you're at all familiar with Taoism/Buddhism. It's just an offshoot of the word Zen. All things in life are balanced.
Where did Zooby go? Anyway, here you go.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5122

MONEYMAKER: Was that about the time of your first contact with the key witness, Dr. Baddour (prominent San Diego psychiatrist)?

HUSE: Yes, and I don't recall the reason, but Dr. Baddour was stopped by a two-man patrol unit. Baddour was traveling eastbound, which would've been from the San Diego area to what we learned later was his home in Alpine. On the front seat of his car, I don't remember what kind of car it was, he had a loaded .44 magnum revolver with a 6-inch barrel. That's the same type of gun that Dirty Harry made famous. It's the largest caliber hand gun you can buy. Of course this piqued our interest a little bit. I wasn't the contact, I was what we call the cover during this particular stop. My partner's the one who made first contact and found the gun. He secured the revolver and was asking the doctor, who'd identified himself as Dr. Baddour, why he was carrying the weapon. Baddour said it was because of a ... and I don't know what he actually said at the time, but my partner heard him say, "Zoobie," ... and so from there on all our conversations throughout the department referred to whatever Dr. Baddour had seen as a Zoobie. That wasn't what the doctor actually called it, I don't believe, but that's what my partner heard and that's how the name got coined.

MONEYMAKER: At the time did Dr. Baddour describe this Zoobie to the officer?

HUSE: Yes, he did, to both of us as a matter of fact. He described the Zoobie as a large, upright, walking hairy creature. Dr. Baddour convinced us and later other members of my department, including one of my patrol sergeants, that in truth he'd had three separate encounters with the Zoobies.
And so, the origin of the name is a mishearing of something the doctor actually said, but no one seems to know what that was:
Baddour said it was because of a ... and I don't know what he actually said at the time, but my partner heard him say, "Zoobie," ... and so from there on all our conversations throughout the department referred to whatever Dr. Baddour had seen as a Zoobie.

Someone at the San Diego Reader was looking through the BFRO files, found out about the handfull of bigfoot sightings in San Diego County, and decided to do a short article about them, just for fun. It was titled: "Big, Hairy Zoobie" and had the famous frame from the Patterson Bigfoot film as an illustration.

After that article appeared everyone seemed to fall in love with the name. (1996, I think). I tried to get an E-Mail account on Yahoo as "Zoobie" and found there were about 200 people ahead of me. So, instead of becoming Zoobie 201, I looked for a more creative variation.

-Zooby

Last edited:
FZ+
Of course, that is just the official story, isn't it, Agent Zoobyshoe?:wink:

Tsu
Gold Member
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
On behalf of myself and all the other Zoobies: the honor of having your new kitten named after our kind is one we accept with glad hearts and Zoobie jollification.
-Zooby
Is "Zoobie jollification" (could that also be termed Zoobification?)anything like Zoobie jocularity?

Originally posted by FZ+
Of course, that is just the official story, isn't it, Agent Zoobyshoe?:wink:
Someones just asking for a visit from three somber men in long black overcoats.

Originally posted by Tsunami
Is "Zoobie jollification" (could that also be termed Zoobification?)anything like Zoobie jocularity?
Jollification is festivity; merrymaking.

"Zoobification" would be the changing of that which is not a zoobie into a zoobie, or the induction of zooboid qualities in something that does not originally possess them. Ivan Seeking might "Zoobify" his new kitten, for example, by photographing it, but declaring all the photographs to be hoaxes or possible hoaxes. He might also "Zoobify" it by recording its vocalizaions and analyze them to prove they could not have been produced by a human, bear, or simian vocal apparatus. If he keeps this up that kitty will believe it is a Zoobie.

LOL, I always wondered about that name.

That's pretty cool. Maybe Zoobie was actually el chupra diablo=)

Zoiks! Zoobie-Doo, where are you? So does that mean when you scarf some snack foods, you're having a Zoobie snack?

Ok..that will be enough caffeine for me...

Originally posted by Zantra
That's pretty cool. Maybe Zoobie was actually el chupra diablo=)
What's "el chupra diablo" and who do you mean? Me or the cat?
Zoiks! Zoobie-Doo, where are you?
Are you talking to me or the cat?
So does that mean when you scarf some snack foods, you're having a Zoobie snack?
When you say "snack foods" do you mean potato chips or meow mix?
Ok..that will be enough caffeine for me...
You sure that's all you been drinkin'?

I think Zantra means:
1) an actual Zooby/ie
2) you
3) you
4) no
#2 and #3 are probably rhetorical

Just out of curiosity, where does the "shoe" come in?

Originally posted by photon
The "foot", where else??

Originally posted by photon
There were, as I said, 200+ "Zoobies" and already several "Zoobys" so I wanted to think up some way of still using the name without putting a number behind it. I didn't want to be "Zoobie 2001" or "Zooby 9", so the name Zooby Shoe came to mind because of the comical size such a shoe would have, and I put it together as one word, and decided on all lowercase letters.

What's "el chupra diablo" and who do you mean? Me or the cat?
You can't tell me you don't know chupra after spending so much time in the m&P forum? hehe

Are you talking to me or the cat?
When you say "snack foods" do you mean potato chips or meow mix?
I'm talking to you.
And I'm not sure what you snack on, so take your pick:wink:

You sure that's all you been drinkin'?
*sniffs mug*

I THOUGHT this pop was a little strong.. no wonder!

"el chupra diablo" means "the sucking devil" and is better known as "el chupracabra/s" meaning "the goat-sucker" which is a big thing in cryptozoology. Many have claimed to see, and therefore believe to exist, a weird creature, I'd describe it as being like a giant iguana with a classic alien-type head, that sucks the blood from livestock of all sorts, completely exsanguinating them. It is supposed to live in Central/South America and the Caribbean, but I don't think it has ever been determined how long it lives, how it breeds, if it really is related to aliens, etc.

Yes, I've heard of the cupacabra, of course. I'd never heard it called "el chupra diablo".

Well, I could be wrong, I have never heard it that way either, but "the sucking devil" sounds to me like "the goat-sucker".

Cheese and here I was thinking that it was an 'urbane' and 'witty' comment upon modern life. that this was one "walking" the 'Zoo (the net/human minds) by shoe' as in the manner of the speed of conversation on the net, pedestrian, in it's intimate interaction of learning over time.......Huh! go Figure!!?

Shows just how wrong someone can/could/is be!

zoo by shoe. I get it. And given the large and magnificent and well known zoo in San Diego, it's a logical way to parse the name. Yet, the zoo as metaphor for the net/human mind is not one that would occur to many in this particular perpendicular universe, nor would many think in negative terms about the pace of conversation. Zoobyshoe meaning zoo by shoe, would be a gratuitous confusion to burden people with, whereas zoobyshoe is a non-gratuitous confusion.

So shall I, instead, call it "The pace of human learning" as opposed to "The pace of conversation", the two being quite different, the former being the slower, but more fruitful, (intellectually) the latter the more celeritas, yet less nessecarily-immediately educational?

No insult was proffered, BTW.

As for, "The collective mind of humanity" a Zoo? an understatement!

LOL! It never occurred to me that way, I always saw the 'y' as being pronounced zoo-bE-shoe and not zoo-bI-shoe! How did you come up with that? It's just bizarre!
Zoobyshoe, it seems you have confounded many with your unusual name, I'm surprised by the source of it in actuallity and by hte many interpretations.

It had also occured to me that it could have come from that "Famous Zoo", that you worked there "tending animals" somehow, and that that involved alot of walking on your part, ergo: "I do" the 'Zoo-By-Shoe' (as employment)
but I like your reasoning (zoob's) better........