Exploring Zoology Careers: High School Preparation and Top Colleges

• Thread starter coach950
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, the speaker recommends focusing on colleges with strong biology and chemistry programs, with ACS accreditation being a good indicator of a strong chemistry program. They also advise taking as many science and math courses as possible in high school, including AP or honors chemistry and at least four years of math. Finally, they suggest participating in science fairs as a way to study zoology and ethology in high school.
coach950
Hi I am interested in zoology particularly ethology and I am a freshmen right now but what I'm wondering is there anyway I should gear my education in high school for a job like this also what colleges should I check out

Likes Dr. Courtney
Physics news on Phys.org
coach950 said:
Hi I am interested in zoology particularly ethology and I am a freshmen right now but what I'm wondering is there anyway I should gear my education in high school for a job like this also what colleges should I check out

I'd focus on the best colleges for science in your state - at a minimum a college with both strong biology and strong chemistry programs. ACS accreditation is usually the mark of a strong chemistry program, especially if most of the chemistry majors earn the ACS accredited degree.

Take all the science and math you can in high school. Be sure to get AP or honors chemistry. You will need that background for most of your biology courses in college, and most biology majors need to take a year of general chemistry and then a year of organic chemistry in college. The best biologists are very good at chemistry and math too.

Do not sell yourself short with less than four years of high school math.

The best way to actually study zoology/ethology in high school is to do a science project for competition at an ISEF affiliated science fair.

Dr. Courtney said:
I'd focus on the best colleges for science in your state - at a minimum a college with both strong biology and strong chemistry programs. ACS accreditation is usually the mark of a strong chemistry program, especially if most of the chemistry majors earn the ACS accredited degree.

Take all the science and math you can in high school. Be sure to get AP or honors chemistry. You will need that background for most of your biology courses in college, and most biology majors need to take a year of general chemistry and then a year of organic chemistry in college. The best biologists are very good at chemistry and math too.

Do not sell yourself short with less than four years of high school math.

The best way to actually study zoology/ethology in high school is to do a science project for competition at an ISEF affiliated science fair.
Thankyou right now I'm in honors and double math so I will be taking at least 5 if not 6 maths

1. What is zoology?

Zoology is the branch of biology that focuses on the study of animals. It involves understanding their behavior, evolution, anatomy, physiology, and distribution.

2. What types of careers are available in zoology?

There are a variety of careers available in zoology, including positions in research, conservation, education, and animal care. Some specific job titles include wildlife biologist, zookeeper, marine biologist, and animal behaviorist.

3. How can high school students prepare for a career in zoology?

High school students can start preparing for a career in zoology by taking science courses such as biology, chemistry, and environmental science. They can also volunteer at local animal shelters or wildlife centers, join science clubs or organizations, and participate in summer programs or internships related to zoology.

4. What are some top colleges for studying zoology?

Some top colleges for studying zoology include Harvard University, University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University of California-Berkeley, and Cornell University. It is important to research each institution's specific zoology program and curriculum to determine which best fits your academic and career goals.

5. What skills are important for a successful career in zoology?

Some important skills for a career in zoology include critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, attention to detail, and a strong understanding of scientific principles and methods. Fieldwork and research experience are also beneficial for many zoology careers.