Prove Total Ordering on X with Zorn's Lemma & r Partial Ordering

• Thread starter andytoh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using Zorn's Lemma to prove that a partial ordering on X is contained in a total ordering on X. The speaker has already proven the existence of a maximal partial ordering containing the given partial ordering, but is struggling to prove that it is a total ordering. They consider defining the relations a>b and b>a, but realize that defining these relations alone is not enough and that all other needed relations must also be defined.
andytoh
If r is partial ordering on X, prove that r is contained in a total ordering on X. Hint: Consider the collection of all partial orderings containing r. Use Zorn's Lemma.

I've already proven using Zorn's Lemma that there exists a maximal partial ordering m containing r. But I can't seem to prove that m is a total ordering. Suppose a and b are not comparable by m. I tried to prove that m U {(a,b)} is a partial ordering (to contradict the maximality of m), but can't. What's the correct contradiction? How about I make b greater than every element in X (that is not already greater than b)? Nope that doesn't work either (transitivity fails).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you call the relation '>' and if a and b are unrelated then suppose you just define a>b. The only way you could be wrong is if there is an element c such that a<c and c<b, right? Because it would fail transitivity. If you define b>a then the only way you could be wrong is if there is an element d such that a>d and d>b, also right? So the only way you could be wrong both ways if there are both. And there can't be both. Since that would violate transitivity. So you must be able to extend the order relation. So it's not maximal? I'm putting lot of question marks because it's a long time since I looked at this stuff. I'm only replying because no one more knowledgeable has.

Last edited:
Thanks. But suppose we define a<b, and we have c<a but there is no relation between c and b at all? (remember that so far we only know that the maximal element is a partially ordered set only), or if we have b<d but there is no relation between a and d? Same problem if we define a>b.

Last edited:
The only thing that would prevent you from DEFINING a<b is the existence of another element that is related to both a and b. If there is no such element then you can just define the relation a<b. And nobody gets hurt.

But if we define a<b, and we have c<a from our maximal partial ordering (for example) but no relation between c and b in our maximal partial ordering, then transitivity also fails because we don't have c<b when we are supposed to. So we can define c<b, but I've checked that this runs into problems too (due to the many other cases).

Last edited:
How about

m U { (a, x), x in X such that (b, x) in m } U { (x, b), x in X such that (x, a) in m }.

andytoh said:
How about

m U { (a, x), x in X such that (b, x) in m } U { (x, b), x in X such that (x, a) in m }.

I see what you mean. You can't just define a>b. You also have to define all of the other relations needed by transitivity. But I don't think there is any problem doing that once you've made the choice between a>b and b>a. As you did above.

Last edited:

What is Zorn's Lemma and how does it relate to proving total ordering on X?

Zorn's Lemma is a mathematical principle that states that if a partially ordered set (poset) has the property that every chain (totally ordered subset) has an upper bound, then the set contains a maximal element. In the context of proving total ordering on X, Zorn's Lemma can be used to show that a poset has a maximal element, which can be used to prove total ordering on X.

What is a partial ordering and how is it different from total ordering?

A partial ordering is a mathematical relation between elements of a set that is reflexive, transitive, and antisymmetric. This means that for any two elements, there may not necessarily be a comparison between them (i.e. one is not necessarily greater than or less than the other). In contrast, total ordering is a relation that is reflexive, transitive, antisymmetric, and also total, meaning that for any two elements, there is always a comparison between them.

How does Zorn's Lemma prove total ordering on X?

Zorn's Lemma can be used to show that a poset has a maximal element, which can then be used to prove total ordering on X. This is because if a poset has a maximal element, then every element in the set must be comparable to that element, making it a totally ordered set.

What is the significance of proving total ordering on X?

Proving total ordering on X has several implications in mathematics and other fields. It allows for the use of certain algorithms and techniques that are only applicable to totally ordered sets. Additionally, total ordering can help to simplify and organize complex sets, making them easier to analyze and understand.

Are there other methods for proving total ordering on X besides Zorn's Lemma?

Yes, there are other methods for proving total ordering on X, such as using the Axiom of Choice or constructing a well-ordering. However, Zorn's Lemma is a commonly used method, particularly in set theory and order theory, due to its simplicity and effectiveness.