Can the Zero Point Energy Change in Curved Space-Times and Impact Gravity?

• Thread starter friend
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure. I think that the global structure of spacetime might play a role in what counts as a vacuum state, but I'm not sure.
friend
As I understand it, QFT predicts that there is a certain zero point energy (ZPE) in a given background of flat Minkowski space-time. And every curved space-time is locally a flat Minkowski space-time. So I'm wondering how the ZPE changes as the curvature of curved space-time changes from one flat space-time to a different flat space-time. For example, is there a higher ZPE closer to a gravitating body?

What motivates this question is if the ZPE and the Minkowski background space-time are unavoidably linked in QFT, then perhaps if there is a mechanism to change the ZPE, this might also change something in the Minkowski background which together may account for gravity. I have no idea what may change the ZPE, and I'm looking for thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ZPE is a rather strange artifact. In QFT you cannot calculate it b/c the result is always infinite. So you subtract this infinity in order to get zero, but that's not really a calculation, is it?

However there a spacetime curvature effects in QFT, the most famous one is Hawking radiation. I strongly recommend to read Hawking's original paper!

As a summary: yes, locally the manifold looks like flat space, therefore you want to apply standard QFT, but that does not work globally. Introducing a vacuum state requires to define positive and negative frequency solutions for classical e.o.m on which you then introduce quantum fields via creation and annihilation operators (which do no longer create plane wave states but distorted waves according to the e.o.m. on curved spacetime). The problem is that the definition of positive and negative frequencies is not possible globally, so an empty vacuum state w.r.t. to one observer is a non-vacuum state with physical particles w.r.t. a second observer (simply b/c they do not agree on the split for positive and negative frequencies). This effect works w/o any interacting fields, so we have free fields on curved spacetime (and that's why Hawking's explanation 'particle-antiparticle pair creation' is rather confusing b/c usually in QFT that requires an interaction term; but Hawking is brilliant both in his calculation, and in interesting but inappropriate popular explanations ;-)

Unfortunately I do have no idea how to make this story work for vacuum energy. The reason is that locally (for every local coordinate patch looking like flat space) you always introduce a normal ordering w.r.t. the local definition of vacuum, and therefore for every vacuum state you subtract the vacuum energy. So if you want to calculate something like <Ω|T00(x)|Ω> at some x for some (observer O, O', ... dependent) vacuum Ω, Ω', ... you always chose a normal ordering setting this to zero. The effect which survives this normal ordering is just Hawking radiation, so in some sense you could say that the energy density of the thermal radiation is the vacuum energy density of a state Ω defined by an observer O but measured by an observer O'.

Last edited:
tom.stoer said:
The effect which survives this normal ordering is just Hawking radiation, so in some sense you could say that the energy density of the thermal radiation is the vacuum energy density of a state Ω defined by an observer O but measured by an observer O'.

Thanks, that's a good start.

Whatever the cause of gravity, I suppose it would have to ultimately be the same effect as acceleration, if the principle of equivalence is to hold. Does acceleration in itself cause this shift in the split between positive and negative frequencies?

I wonder if interactions with matter slows down wave functions like water waves crashing onto shore. That might cause waves to bunch up and appear to be higher in frequency, raising the apparent zero point energy level.

friend said:
Whatever the cause of gravity, I suppose it would have to ultimately be the same effect as acceleration, if the principle of equivalence is to hold. Does acceleration in itself cause this shift in the split between positive and negative frequencies?
Yes and no. The so-called Unruh effect shows that an accelerated observer in flat spacetime will see thermal radiation, too. Nevertheless QFT in curved spacetime is sensitive to the global structure of spacetime, and therefore I am not sure whether the principle of equivalence (which is a local principle) is sufficient.

tom.stoer said:
Yes and no. The so-called Unruh effect shows that an accelerated observer in flat spacetime will see thermal radiation, too. Nevertheless QFT in curved spacetime is sensitive to the global structure of spacetime, and therefore I am not sure whether the principle of equivalence (which is a local principle) is sufficient.

The usual method of going from local to global is the process of integration. Would that apply here?

1. What is ZPE in curved space-times?

ZPE, or zero-point energy, is a concept in quantum physics that refers to the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. In curved space-times, ZPE is affected by the curvature of spacetime and can have significant implications for the behavior of particles and fields.

2. How does ZPE in curved space-times differ from flat space-time?

In flat space-time, ZPE is typically considered to be constant and unchanging. However, in curved space-times, the curvature of spacetime can lead to fluctuations in ZPE, which can have significant effects on the behavior of particles and fields.

3. What are the potential applications of understanding ZPE in curved space-times?

Understanding ZPE in curved space-times can have implications for fields such as quantum computing, cosmology, and particle physics. It can also help us better understand the behavior of particles and fields in extreme environments, such as black holes.

4. Can ZPE in curved space-times be observed or measured?

Currently, there is no direct way to observe or measure ZPE in curved space-times. However, scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study its effects and make predictions about its behavior.

5. Are there any controversies or debates surrounding ZPE in curved space-times?

Yes, there is still ongoing research and debate about the exact nature and implications of ZPE in curved space-times. Some theories suggest that ZPE could be a potential source of dark energy, while others argue that it may not have as significant of an impact as previously thought. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand ZPE in curved space-times.