1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zwiebach page 143

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On page 143, Zwiebach says that we can define the current tenser to be antisymmetric in mu and nu since it is multiplied by the antisymmetric matrix epsilon^{mu nu}--any symmetric part would drop out of the left hand-side.

But I thought it already was defined in equation 8.55? What does he mean that the symmetric part would drop out?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2
    Equation (8.55) does not completely define j, only the sum. For instance, you could add an amount to [itex]j_{01}[/itex] and add the same amount to [itex]j_{10}[/itex] and the sum [itex]\epsilon j[/itex] would remain the same. This is what he means by "the symmetric part would drop out."

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    That makes sense. Then below that he says that "the currents can be read directly from this equation because the factor multiplying epsilon^{mu nu} on the RHS is explicitely antisymmetric"?

I do not see why the antisymmetry j^alpha_{mu nu} allows you to do that since you are still summing over 2 indices?

5. Oct 22, 2007 #4
    Before you assume that j is antisymmetric, you have some play in the values of j since you can add a symmetric part and equation (8.55) will still hold. However, once you assume that j is antisymmetric, that arbitrariness is gone and you can equate the antisymmetic factors on both sides for each index. For instance
    [tex]j_{01} = \frac{1}{2}(j_{01} - j_{10}) = -\frac{1}{2}(X_{0}{\mathcal P}_{1} - X_{1}{\mathcal P}_{0})[/tex]

6. Oct 22, 2007 #5
    Yes. I understand that is what Zwiebach is claiming; its just that the proof that every antisymmetric matrix is invertible isn't coming to me...

7. Oct 22, 2007 #6
    Zwiebach doesn't claim that every antisymmetric matrix is invertible and it isn't true.

8. Oct 22, 2007 #7
    You're right. He is claiming that if epsilon^{\mu \nu} is antisymmetric and M^{\mu \nu} is antisymmetric, then if [tex] \epsilon^{\mu \nu} M_{\mu \nu} = \epsilon^{\mu \nu} N_{\mu \nu}[/tex], [tex] M_{\mu \nu} = N_{\mu \nu}[/tex], right? How do you prove that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?