Zwiebach Problem 8.6: Explaining "We Do Not Use the Equations of Motion

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem where one person uses the equations of motion and gets a different answer from the provided solution, causing confusion about why the equations of motion cannot be used in this case.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Here is Zwiebach's solution to Problem 8.6.

Can someone explain the sentence "we do not use the equations of motion".

I used the equations of motion and I got a completely different answer!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you have done.

Sorry. I stupidly forgot to upload the attachment. Anyway above the parenthetical that says note that we do not use the equation of motion, I used the equation of motion to get

[tex] \delta L = \epsilon \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \dot{q} ) [/tex]

And the rest is totally different for me.

So, why can I not use the equation of motion here?

Attachments

• zwiebach sol 86.jpg
    zwiebach sol 86.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 357

1. What is the Zwiebach Problem 8.6 and why is it important?

The Zwiebach Problem 8.6 is a theoretical physics problem that discusses the use of equations of motion in the study of string theory. It is important because it challenges the traditional approach to understanding physical phenomena and offers new insights into the fundamental nature of the universe.

2. What does it mean to "not use the equations of motion" in string theory?

In string theory, the equations of motion are not used as the primary tool for understanding physical phenomena. Instead, string theorists use the concept of "duality" to relate different descriptions of the same system and gain a deeper understanding of its underlying structure.

3. How does the concept of duality play a role in solving the Zwiebach Problem 8.6?

Duality allows for the interchange of different descriptions of a physical system, such as switching between a particle description and a string description. In the case of Zwiebach Problem 8.6, duality is used to show that the equations of motion are not necessary for understanding string theory, as they can be derived from the concept of duality.

4. Can you explain the relationship between duality and the equations of motion in string theory?

The equations of motion are a set of rules that describe the behavior of a physical system. In string theory, duality allows for the derivation of these equations from a more fundamental level, where the concept of duality is the primary tool for understanding the system. This relationship shows that the equations of motion are not fundamental in string theory, but rather emerge from the concept of duality.

5. What implications does the Zwiebach Problem 8.6 have for the study of string theory and theoretical physics?

The Zwiebach Problem 8.6 challenges the traditional approach to understanding physical phenomena and offers a new perspective on the fundamental nature of the universe. It also highlights the importance of duality in string theory and its potential to provide deeper insights into the workings of the universe. This problem has opened up new avenues for research and has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of theoretical physics.