1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zwiebach quick calculation 10.6

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am somewhat new to creation and annhilation operators, but I can reduce the problem to showing that:

[tex] a_{p_1} ^{\dag} a_{p_2} ^{\dag} = a_{p_1} ^{\dag} + a_{p_2} ^{\dag} [/tex]

[tex] a_{p_1} ^{\dag} [/tex] is the creation operator for a particle with momentum p1 (if I understand it correctly)

Can someone help prove that?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2
    This can't be right since if it were, then:
    [tex]a_{p_1}^{\dag} a_{p_2} ^{\dag} a_{p_3} ^{\dag} = a_{p_1}^{\dag}(a_{p_2}^{\dag} + a_{p_3}^{\dag}) = a_{p_1}^{\dag}a_{p_2}^{\dag} + a_{p_1}^{\dag}a_{p_3}^{\dag} = a_{p_1}^{\dag} + a_{p_2}^{\dag} + a_{p_1}^{\dag} + a_{p_3}^{\dag}[/tex]
    In order to do the calculation, apply H and P as defined in equations (10.60) and (10.61) directly to the state in (10.65). Use induction on k.
  4. Oct 8, 2007 #3
    That's weird though. How can it not be true if

\sum_{\vec{j}} \vec{j} a_j ^{\dag} a_j a_{p1}^{\dag} a_{p2}^{\dag}
    \sum_{\vec{j}} \vec{j} a_j ^{\dag} a_j a_{p1}^{\dag}
    \sum_{\vec{j}} \vec{j} a_j ^{\dag} a_j a_{p2}^{\dag}

5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    In general, for operators, AB = AC does not imply B = C even when A is non-zero.
  6. Oct 8, 2007 #5
    Yes. I was wrong.

But then somehow you need to split up that long product of [tex] a_{p_k}^{\dag}[/tex] operators. You can commute them by 10.59, but they doesn't really help. Is there another way to split it into two terms?
  7. Oct 8, 2007 #6
    The formula [A,BC] = B[A,C] + [A.B]C will do nicely.
  8. Oct 10, 2007 #7
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

For QC 10.7, I am trying to use

[tex] \sum_{\vec{p}} a_p^{\dag} a_p | \Omega > = \sum_{\vec{p}} (a_p a_p^{\dag} -1) | \Omega >[/tex]

So, there should probably be a Kronecker delta that has an index that gets summed over or something but I am not really sure where this comes in?

Just to be sure, I want to show that [tex] \sum_{\vec{p}} a_p^{\dag} a_p | \Omega > = n | \Omega > [/tex].

where n is the number of particles in the state omega, right?

By the way, I should probably not be using omega because we are using that for the vacuum state and we want an arbitrary state here, right?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  9. Oct 10, 2007 #8
    QC 10.7 is done exactly the same way that QC 10.6 is done.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?