1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zwiebach quick calculation 8.7

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to do QC 8.7. If I use the equation given on page 127, l = 2/pi E/T0, I do not think that produces right answer. Is there another equation I should use

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2
    You should use equations (3.88) on page 54 but replace the equation for G with the equation for [itex]\alpha'[/itex]. Then follow the technique on that page.
  4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    Sorry, can you explain what you mean replace the equation for G with the equation for alpha' (8.63 I assume)? G and J/hbar do not even have the same units.
  5. Sep 30, 2007 #4
    There are three equations labeled (3.88). Replace all of the P subscripts with S. Toss out the equation that defines G and use equation (8.63) in its place. Express [itex]\sqrt{\alpha'}[/itex] in terms of [itex]{l}_S, {m}_S,[/itex] and [itex]{t}_S[/itex].
  6. Sep 30, 2007 #5
    OK. I see why that works. My only concern is how do you know that you can replace the p subscripts with s subscripts. Those relations are only true in the Planckian system of units, right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?