1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zwiebach section 12.4

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On page 221 Zwiebach uses the "definition" M^2 = -p^2. I am not sure where this comes from since normally

m^2c^4 + p^2 c^2 = E^2

and even dropping the c's does not reduce to that.

EDIT: I see. It is the light-cone Lorentz generator of section 11.6. How is he getting the square of it though? Working it out with 11.76?

EDIT 2: Wrong again. It is the just the energy-momentum invariant since the p I wrote above was only a three-vector. So, why is it a capital M?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't confuse four-momenta with three-momenta. In M^2 = - P^2, P is a four-momentum. In your seond equation p is the three-momentum.

In any case, depending on the metric used, the square of the four-momentum may either be taken as P^2 = E^2-p^2 OR as p^2-E^2 which gives either +m^2 or -m^2 (setting c=1 everywhere)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?