Zwiebach's string theory book

• Thread starter nitin
  • Start date
String Theory

I too would be interested in the pdf solutions since I am taking this as an indendant reading course as a beginning grad student in physics. I would appreciate it to check my solutions, I dont have to tell u that for a handfull of the problems i am quite unsure of my work which makes me skeptical and is tearing my brain:grumpy: . Thanks! My email is
ray_2368@hotmail.com
I should have no problem receiving about 7 mb since hotmail has a max of 250 or something, graci!

arivero
Gold Member
As nitin has already send some ZIPs to the first email directions (including mine) I'd suggest further petitioners to choose randomly any of them and ask them, this should discharge work from nitin and also discharge the thread.

If sending the solutions directly to someone's email is problematic then I suggest you use:

http://www.yousendit.com

It is a free email service that allows you to send an email message with a large attachment (< 100MB) to any email address or addresses. The way it works is you upload the attachment to their servers, they send out an email to the reciever with a link to download the attachment from their servers; you might want to try it out. You could probably send out the solutions to nearly everyone in this thread in one shot.

By the way could I also obtain the solutions to Zwiebach's "A first course in string theory"? My email address is FSC729@yahoo.com

Thank You

John G.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the solutions to chapter 20 and 21?
If so, could you send them to me? Even if it meant that you have to scan your handwritten work. Doesn't sound desperate, does it?

thanks!

S.

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I got my copy (zipped of course) through yousendit. Thanks to everyboidy who contributed.

I am going to delete the post with my email address.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
me too, please...

--edit
thanks

Last edited:
Hi

A quick message to say that I will ignore any request of solutions to exercises in Zwiebach's "A First Course in String Theory" on this thread from now on (because I will no longer read postings here). arivero and about 5 others, as far as I know, are now in possession of the same solutions.

Nitin

I'll put the zip file available for download via emule, of course you will need a little patience.

Here is a link:

"ed2k://|file|Zwiebach%20A%20First%20Course%20In%20String%20Theory%20Solutions.zip|7971999|C97CE9675F0F2675EF54CE097C44B078|h=VAIT6YOMWMX6FXBO6Q4FCRFLHW36TQNI|/|sources,24.23.209.54:4662|/"[/URL]

John G.

Last edited by a moderator:
arivero
Gold Member
FSC729 said:
I'll put the zip file available for download via emule, of course you will need a little patience.

Here is a link:

"ed2k://|file|Zwiebach%20A%20First%20Course%20In%20String%20Theory%20Solutions.zip|7971999|C97CE9675F0F2675EF54CE097C44B078|h=VAIT6YOMWMX6FXBO6Q4FCRFLHW36TQNI|/|sources,24.23.209.54:4662|/"[/URL]

John G.[/QUOTE]

Fine. A search in emule will reveal too the existence of .pdf and .djvu versions of a short version of the book (last chapters are lacking), vey useful to do searches in the whole text.

please could someone send me the solutions, my email address is palo84@msn.com

I'd really appreciate a copy of the solutions, too, if anyone is still distributing them.

jor_lasar@yahoo.com

Another request

I, too, would like to request some solutions.

My e-mail is quallz AT hotmail.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Hello, I cannot download solutions via emule - sources are 0 :( I will be very appreciate, if someone will send them to me. My email is neoliten@hotmail.com.

Thank you.

I can understand if no one wants to send solutions. I'm sure nobody even checks this thread anymore.

If someone does check, however, at the very least could someone leave a source on emule. I'm having trouble finding any there as well.

Thanks!

arivero
Gold Member
As I suggested before, the big idea is to pick randomly one of the email directions, instead of asking collectivelly here, as then you risk either to get none or to get five copies exhausting your email account.

As for emule, I think I had already put some, I will check. search for Zwiebach in a few minutes.

arivero
Gold Member
It was already in emule, search for Zwiebach in .zip format

Hello everyone, I've sent the Zwiebach solution set to every email on page 3 of this thread. I have also added the file to my emule file sharing folder, but with only three sources it may take a while to download. So if you can please add the solution set to your file sharing folder.

John G.

Zwiebach book solutions

I would greatly appreciate if someone could send a copy of the PDF solutions to the following address:

mgkim@etri.re.kr

I like Zwiebach's book (just started reading it...I have taught myself some QM, EM, CM and a bit of Statmech) and would love to discuss it with you folks (is this the right place?).

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
maverick280857 said:
I like Zwiebach's book (just started reading it...I have taught myself some QM, EM, CM and a bit of Statmech) and would love to discuss it with you folks (is this the right place?).
If "it" means string theory in Zweibach, yes. The other things you mentioned should be discussed on their appropriate forums.

selfAdjoint said:
If "it" means string theory in Zweibach, yes. The other things you mentioned should be discussed on their appropriate forums.
Thanks adjoint, I'll keep that in mind.

Off topic: By the way, is Zwiebach's book available in India somwhere? I need a copy of the book (I don't have it now)...if someone here happens to know where I can get it, please do let me know.

I have a question concerning pages 60 and 61 of Professor Zwiebach's book. He is looking for a "fundamental Planck length" that is of the order of [itex]10^{-18}[/itex] cm. He looks for it in a 5-dimensional world, but rejects it because the size of the extra dimension that would give the desired Planck length would be [itex]10^{12}[/itex] cm and the "extra dimension would have been detected a long time ago".

Then he looks for it in a 6-dimensional world and finds that the necessary size of the extra dimension would be [itex]10^{-3}[/itex] cm. Most of page 61 goes on to explain why this is not too large.

My question is: "Why didn't he do the calculation for a 10-dimensional world?" If he did, I figure he would need for the extra dimensions to have a length of roughly [itex]10^{-12}[/itex] cm. This length would have a profound influence on the way page 61 would have been written.

maverick280857 said:
By the way, is Zwiebach's book available in India somewhere? I need a copy of the book (I don't have it now)...if someone here happens to know where I can get it, please do let me know.
Maverick

Have a look at http://www.firstandsecond.com/" [Broken]).

I believe Cambridge University Press will not start producing a low-price edition of the book unless they start getting a significant number of orders from people in India (or elsewhere in the developing countries).:grumpy:

Btw, one can purchase really cheap copies of Physics and Mathematics classics from this bookstore. I have so far identified about 50 books which cost so little compared to other known bookstore prices that they make me want to cry for not knowing about FirstAndSecond.com before I started uni!:cry:

Best,
Nitin

is there anyone who has solutions to the exersises
of the chapters 17-21?