Are there solutions available for Zwiebach's string theory book?

In summary, the author of the book "A first course in string theory" has just acquired Zwiebach's book and found it to be very clear and easy to follow. He has found that Zwiebach does not use supersymmetry, but instead relies more heavily on the mathematics behind string theory formulas. The coverage of topics is very good, and he likes the toy model of the bosonic string that Zwiebach provides. He found the coverage of thermodynamics and t-duality to be particularly helpful.
I'd really appreciate a copy of the solutions, too, if anyone is still distributing them.

jor_lasar@yahoo.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Another request

I, too, would like to request some solutions.

My e-mail is quallz AT hotmail.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Hello, I cannot download solutions via emule - sources are 0 :( I will be very appreciate, if someone will send them to me. My email is neoliten@hotmail.com.

Thank you.

I can understand if no one wants to send solutions. I'm sure nobody even checks this thread anymore.

If someone does check, however, at the very least could someone leave a source on emule. I'm having trouble finding any there as well.

Thanks!

As I suggested before, the big idea is to pick randomly one of the email directions, instead of asking collectivelly here, as then you risk either to get none or to get five copies exhausting your email account.

As for emule, I think I had already put some, I will check. search for Zwiebach in a few minutes.

It was already in emule, search for Zwiebach in .zip format

Hello everyone, I've sent the Zwiebach solution set to every email on page 3 of this thread. I have also added the file to my emule file sharing folder, but with only three sources it may take a while to download. So if you can please add the solution set to your file sharing folder.

John G.

Likes Bill2500
Zwiebach book solutions

I would greatly appreciate if someone could send a copy of the PDF solutions to the following address:

mgkim@etri.re.kr

I like Zwiebach's book (just started reading it...I have taught myself some QM, EM, CM and a bit of Statmech) and would love to discuss it with you folks (is this the right place?).

maverick280857 said:
I like Zwiebach's book (just started reading it...I have taught myself some QM, EM, CM and a bit of Statmech) and would love to discuss it with you folks (is this the right place?).

If "it" means string theory in Zweibach, yes. The other things you mentioned should be discussed on their appropriate forums.

selfAdjoint said:
If "it" means string theory in Zweibach, yes. The other things you mentioned should be discussed on their appropriate forums.

Thanks adjoint, I'll keep that in mind.

Off topic: By the way, is Zwiebach's book available in India somwhere? I need a copy of the book (I don't have it now)...if someone here happens to know where I can get it, please do let me know.

I have a question concerning pages 60 and 61 of Professor Zwiebach's book. He is looking for a "fundamental Planck length" that is of the order of [itex]10^{-18}[/itex] cm. He looks for it in a 5-dimensional world, but rejects it because the size of the extra dimension that would give the desired Planck length would be [itex]10^{12}[/itex] cm and the "extra dimension would have been detected a long time ago".

Then he looks for it in a 6-dimensional world and finds that the necessary size of the extra dimension would be [itex]10^{-3}[/itex] cm. Most of page 61 goes on to explain why this is not too large.

My question is: "Why didn't he do the calculation for a 10-dimensional world?" If he did, I figure he would need for the extra dimensions to have a length of roughly [itex]10^{-12}[/itex] cm. This length would have a profound influence on the way page 61 would have been written.

Last edited by a moderator:
maverick280857 said:
By the way, is Zwiebach's book available in India somewhere? I need a copy of the book (I don't have it now)...if someone here happens to know where I can get it, please do let me know.

Maverick

Have a look at http://www.firstandsecond.com/" ).

I believe Cambridge University Press will not start producing a low-price edition of the book unless they start getting a significant number of orders from people in India (or elsewhere in the developing countries).:grumpy:

Btw, one can purchase really cheap copies of Physics and Mathematics classics from this bookstore. I have so far identified about 50 books which cost so little compared to other known bookstore prices that they make me want to cry for not knowing about FirstAndSecond.com before I started uni!:cry:

Nitin

is there anyone who has solutions to the exersises
of the chapters 17-21?

nitin said:
Maverick

Have a look at http://www.firstandsecond.com/" ).

I believe Cambridge University Press will not start producing a low-price edition of the book unless they start getting a significant number of orders from people in India (or elsewhere in the developing countries).:grumpy:

Btw, one can purchase really cheap copies of Physics and Mathematics classics from this bookstore. I have so far identified about 50 books which cost so little compared to other known bookstore prices that they make me want to cry for not knowing about FirstAndSecond.com before I started uni!:cry:Nitin

Thanks dude, but this is still three thousand bucks! (Close to four thousand for the sake of "exactness")

EDIT: Its probably India's biggest online bookstore as nothing else exists like it :-)

answers

hi

can someone please send me the pdf file with the answers to zwiebach's string book? my email is vagabond5711@yahoo.com.

thanks!

warrius said:
hi

can someone please send me the pdf file with the answers to zwiebach's string book? my email is vagabond5711@yahoo.com.

thanks!

I too would like that file, if someone could send it to me I'd be delighted.
I bought the book for self-study but it's been 6 years since I went to the university so I seem to need some help... =)
email ollethegreatest@yahoo.com

I'd love a set of the solutions too. I have jackson's E/M solutions if you're interesed, as well as some others. :-D

Hey guys,

Is there anyone having the solution of Zwiebach?
If you happen to have the solution, it would be very helpful for you to send me the solution.
Thank you for your help!

tantalusan@yahoo.co.kr

Last edited:
jorlasar said:
I'd love a set of the solutions too. I have jackson's E/M solutions if you're interesed, as well as some others. :-D

Dear Jorlasar,

I'd be interested in getting the solutions of Jackson's EM book.
If possible, please send them to christinedantas <<at>> yahoo.com.
What others do you have?

Thanks
Christine

Dear Jorlasar,

Never mind. I've just found many sites with solutions on Jackson's book. I just wanted to check some of them against my own.
Thanks anyway,
Christine

Im currently using this text as an auxiliary reference and trying to do selected problems as practice. If you could send solutions to jay_z_04<at>hotmail.com it would be greatly appreciated.

Dear forum, have you the Zwiebach's book's solutions? thanks :valfano@inwind.it

Zwiebach solutions

Dear forum, have you the Zwiebach's book's solutions? thanks :valfano@inwind.it

What about Quick Calculation 2.5? I believe its a cilinder...

donac said:
No, I think it is [tex]T^2[/tex].

donac said:

I get that it's a cylinder. Try coordinates x' = (x + y)/sqrt(2) and y' = (x - y)/sqrt(2).

Whoops! Yes, George is right! I made the mistake of thinking in terms of the 2 identifications [tex]x\simx+2\pi R[/tex] and [tex]y\simy+2\pi R[/tex], that is
[tex](x,y)\sim(x+2\pi R,y),
(x,y)\sim(x,y+2\pi R)[/tex],
which, as I came to realize, is discussed on page 31.

zwiebach

nitin said:
Hi yaqh and others

I have the solutions to almost all of the end-of-chapter problems. Given that a significant number of people have been seeking solutions, I'm willing to take the risk and supply the solutions to the exercises in Zwiebach's book to whoever is interested. The solutions are:
1) not copyrighted, as far as I can tell (so I think there's legally no problem to make it available to many)
2) are in PDF format
3) are more than 7 Mb large in toto (zipped)

To those interested, please post your emails on this thread. One thing though.. I would be very unhappy if you spread my email around, so please refrain from doing so.

Nitin

yes , I'm interested : valfano@inwind.it
thank

(x+2π , y+2π)~( -x,-y) ?

self-study

nitin said:
Hi yaqh and others

I have the solutions to almost all of the end-of-chapter problems. Given that a significant number of people have been seeking solutions, I'm willing to take the risk and supply the solutions to the exercises in Zwiebach's book to whoever is interested. The solutions are:
1) not copyrighted, as far as I can tell (so I think there's legally no problem to make it available to many)
2) are in PDF format
3) are more than 7 Mb large in toto (zipped)

To those interested, please post your emails on this thread. One thing though.. I would be very unhappy if you spread my email around, so please refrain from doing so.

Nitin

Hi, I too would appreciate solutions as I am doing a self-study over the summer: cam9man@hotmail.com

nitin said:
Thanks da_willem for the email address (solutions@cambridge.org). I sent them an email asking for access, and they kindly replied with the following info, which I provide here for those interested:

Go to: http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521831431&ss=res

Click on "solutions". You will be prompted for a username and password. Enter the following:

Username: lecturer
Password: cambr1dge (note: spelt with a 1, not an i)

The solutions available so far are from chapter 1 up to and including chapter 16. They are available as downloadable PDF files. The rest, according to the correspondent, will be posted as soon as received from Zwiebach. Enjoy.

I had incredible luck today. I went to a second-hand book shop and I obtained Green et al.'s "Supertring Theory - Volume 1: Introduction" (CUP) and the 2-volume "Superstrings - The first 15 years of superstring theory" (World Scientific), edited by John Schwarz, all for just AUD$ 50 ! I think a (frustrated?) physicist recently dumped his books there.. lol

Hi Nitin or anybody who has zwiebach solutions,

I'm sorry for bugging you, I'm sure you've gotten a thousand of these emails but I would really appreciate a copy of solutions to Zwiebach's "A First Course in String Theory". My email is peter.winslow@gmail.com.

A million thank you's

It would be really nice if someone would send a copy of the solutions to indigojokker@yahoo.com

much thanks

Last edited: