clancy688 said:
So I guess we all agree on two points:
First - it isn't very likely that the radiation did kill anyone yet (not speaking for coming decades, though)
Second - that pile of rubble of a plant is killing workers, just not through radiation. But what does the actual cause matter to the end result?
I value human life very much and do take any death no matter what the cause seriously, but if you look at the stats on any contstruction project or just plant operation... death and injuries are part of the operations.. that's why companies carry workers compensation and liability insurance... when you study the causes of these incidents, it is generally found that a large % are due to an employee not following directions/regulations.. (not all.. some are just accidents.. some are compaines taking short cuts...) all and all the numbers I have seen reported are quite small in relation to the number of employees/turnover of employees.. and the unknown physical hazards conditions of the work environment (excluding the radiation).
I do believe some on the thread are trying to make the situtation seem as it is something that the reports do not support.. I suggest that they do a comparison to a facility that is none nuclear and has simialar number of employees and hazardous working conditions.
Anyone out there in the insurance industrie? ... as the projected number of deaths and injuries are part of the equation that is used to charge the "premuim" on a construction project of a building. Equate it to the higher preceved risk of those under 25 driving... if you use a car its a known fact that some will be in an accident and some will lose their life.
Companies in the US carry what is called "Experience Modification" it is a calculation of past performance that insurance companies use to asses the risk value of a company.. the lower the mod the lower the premium.. and usually the better their saftey program is or inforced.
So I guess the question is "we know that the employees are put in a dangerous enviroment,(they also are not being forced to be there) but what is the solution... do not attempt to do anything at the plant? ie.. just walk away? That would be the same logic as everyone park your cars!
I do believe some here just can't wait for bad news, so they can TEPCO bash.
Edit: General info not referring to clancy, glad to see clancy's acknowlegement that it's not likly to be rad related.