How do i find the antiderivative of this

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the antiderivative of x/ square root sign(x^2 + 1). The first step is to simplify the expression to x/(x^2 + 1)^(1/2). Then, using the substitution u = x^2, the antiderivative is found to be x/3(x^2 + 1)^3. However, there is a discussion about the use of the chain rule or quotient rule, which is incorrect for finding antiderivatives. The correct approach is to use integration techniques such as u-substitution and integration by parts. Finally, the correctness of the antiderivative is verified by differentiating it.
afcwestwarrior
x/ square root sign(x^2 + 1)

i did this x/ (x^2 + 1)^(1/2) simplified it

then i did this (x^2/2)/ 3/2(x^2 + 1)^(3/2) antidirevitionated it

then i cleaned it up x/ 3( x^2 + 1)^ 3

is this right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm what did you do?

consider the u-substitution of
[tex]u=x^2[/tex]

so i have to use the chain rule or the quotient rule when i find the antiderivative of this

verify by differentiation that the formula x/square root (x^2 + 1) + C
is correct

this is what i have to do, but first i have to find the antiderivate of that function or polynomial, and then i have to just differentiate it which is easy

Let u = x^2 + 1
Then du = 2x*dx
So x*dx/(x^2 + 1)^(1/2) = du/(2*u^(1/2))

afcwestwarrior said:
so i have to use the chain rule or the quotient rule when i find the antiderivative of this
No, you should remember that there's no such thing as Chain rule, or Quotient Rule when finding an anti-derivative to one function.
You should re-read your textbook again carefully, and slowly to fully understand what you have to do. In integration, we can make a u-substitution, a trig-substitution, Integration by Parts, blah, blah, blah,... but not chain rule, or quotient rule. They are just for differentiating.
What you have done in your first post is not correct.
[tex]\int \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} dx \neq \frac{\int f(x) dx}{\int g(x) dx}[/tex], they are not the same.

-----------------------

I'll give you an example, similar to the problem. But you really should read your textbook first.

Example 1:
[tex]\int x \sqrt{x ^ 2 + 3} dx[/tex]

You should notice the x in front of the square root, it differs from the derivative of (x2 + 3, i.e, the expression inside the square root) by a factor 2.

[tex]\int x \sqrt{x ^ 2 + 3} dx = \int \sqrt{x ^ 2 + 3} x dx[/tex]
Let [tex]u = x ^ 2 + 3 \Rightarrow du = (x ^ 2 + 3)'_x dx = 2x dx \Rightarrow x dx = \frac{du}{2}[/tex]
The integral becomes:
[tex]... = \int \sqrt{u} \frac{du}{2} = \frac{1}{2} \int \sqrt{u} du = \frac{1}{2} \int u ^ {\frac{1}{2}} du = \frac{1}{2} \times \frac{u ^ {\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{3}{2}} + C[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{3} u ^ {\frac{3}{2}} + C = \frac{1}{3} \sqrt{u ^ 3} + C[/tex], now, change u back to x, we have:

[tex]... = \frac{1}{3} \sqrt{(x ^ 2 + 3) ^ 3} + C[/tex]

Example 2:
[tex]\int x e ^ {3x ^ 2 + 5} dx[/tex]

It's pretty similar to the previous one, let [tex]u = 3x ^ 2 + 5 \Rightarrow du = 6x dx \Rightarrow x dx = \frac{du}{6}[/tex]
The integral becomes:
[tex]\int e ^ u \frac{du}{6} = \frac{1}{6} \int e ^ u du = \frac{1}{6} e ^ u + C = \frac{1}{6} e ^ {3x ^ 2 + 5} + C[/tex]

Now, you can just do the same to your problem. Can you go from here? :)

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is a mathematical function that, when differentiated, produces the original function. It is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. How do I know if a function has an antiderivative?

A function has an antiderivative if it is continuous on a closed interval. If the function is continuous, then it is guaranteed to have an antiderivative.

3. What are the steps to finding an antiderivative?

The steps to finding an antiderivative are as follows: 1) Rewrite the function as a sum of simpler functions, if necessary. 2) Use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule to find the antiderivatives of each term. 3) Add the antiderivatives together and include a constant of integration.

4. Is there a general formula for finding an antiderivative?

Yes, there is a general formula for finding antiderivatives. It is called the antiderivative rule or the fundamental theorem of calculus. It states that the antiderivative of a function f(x) is F(x) + C, where F(x) is any function whose derivative is equal to f(x) and C is a constant of integration.

5. Can I use a calculator to find an antiderivative?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in antiderivative function. You can also use online antiderivative calculators or computer software like Mathematica or Maple to find antiderivatives.