Cantors Influence on Theoretical Physics

In summary, Simon believes that Cantor's maths are not reliable because they can be used to create infinite theories that replace the equals sign with something different. He also believes that theories based on Cantor's maths are difficult to find.
SimonA
If I start with basic algebra, I get rules that suggest;

1x+1x=2x

Then I consider the 'no end' scenario, and say that if x is infinite;

1x+1x=1x

And so I decide that infinity is a 'special case'.

Then I get really clever and use something called set theory, which is pretty reliable, and use it to show that two sets of inifinite items can have one with an infinite number of items for ever item in the other set (real numbers versus integer numbers for example).

And so suddenly (in a round about way) I believe that even if x is infinite;

1x+1x=2x

even though the numerical value of x is still tied to its definition in being undefinably quantifyable.

We now get people who believe in the big bang and yet say that the universe is spacially infinite. On the scientific side the only question on this is the shape of space. A spinning top that went around and around for ever has no relevance to the spatial extent of its environment.

To me this big mistake seems to pervade theoretical physics and cosmology far more than it deserves to. Infinities are where something runs on for ever. This is an unquantifyable value, and Cantors different infinities replace the equals sign, with all its amazing symmetry, with something significantly different.

How difficult would it be to get a list of theories which rest on Cantor's maths ?

Regards

Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
SimonA said:
How difficult would it be to get a list of theories which rest on Cantor's maths ?

Simple: the empty set.

Thats very usefull to know - many thanks

I'll leave my concerns with Cantors infinities behind by classing them as 'statistics' rather than pure maths, and concentrate on these issues with gravity and a complete lack of explanation for behaviour at a quantum level.

Related to Cantors Influence on Theoretical Physics

1. How did Cantor's work influence theoretical physics?

Cantor's work on set theory and the concept of infinity had a significant impact on theoretical physics. His ideas about the existence of different levels of infinity and the concept of transfinite numbers helped to shape the way physicists view and approach mathematical concepts in their theories.

2. Did Cantor's ideas receive recognition from the scientific community?

Initially, Cantor's work was met with skepticism and resistance from some mathematicians and physicists. However, over time, his ideas gained recognition and are now widely accepted and used in the field of theoretical physics.

3. Can you give an example of how Cantor's ideas have been applied in theoretical physics?

One example is the use of Cantor's diagonal argument in quantum mechanics to prove the existence of multiple universes. This argument shows that there are infinitely many possible outcomes or states in a quantum system, which aligns with the concept of the multiverse.

4. How has Cantor's work influenced the development of modern physics?

Cantor's ideas have played a crucial role in the development of modern physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and cosmology. His concept of transfinite numbers has been used in the study of black holes and the structure of the universe.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding Cantor's influence on theoretical physics?

Some physicists argue that Cantor's ideas, particularly the concept of infinity, are purely mathematical and have no real-world application in physics. However, others argue that his ideas have been instrumental in advancing our understanding of the universe and should not be dismissed. Overall, there is ongoing debate and discussion about the extent of Cantor's influence on theoretical physics.