Stealing Electricity by induced EMF

In summary, EMF induction can be used to steal power from electric companies, but it is a very cumbersome and risky process.
khermans
I was wondering just how possible it is to "steal" electricity by inducing an EMF near the transmission cable? Does the electric company have ways to detect this or have counter-measures set up? How big would the wire need to be and made of what material? I am very interested in how all of this works and I am thinking about writing an article about it as not many have heard of this. Most people think of stealing electricity as stealing someone's else's meter, but this method is quite infantile. Please keep details to a scholarly level and DO NOT post instructions on how to do it per se...

Kristian Hermansen

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard a story where a farmer whose barn was right underneath some high-voltage lines, set up many many copy coils in the barns roof and was able to steal electricity that way. The power company noticed because of the extra drain on the transmission lines there, or something like that and put a stop to it.

check said:
I've heard a story where a farmer whose barn was right underneath some high-voltage lines, set up many many copy coils in the barns roof and was able to steal electricity that way. The power company noticed because of the extra drain on the transmission lines there, or something like that and put a stop to it.

I've heard stories about farmers "stealing" energy from those megawatt AM stations by putting up antennas and rectifying the power. In some versions I hear that this was found to be perfectly legal, and the radio stations agreed to pay the farmer's electric bills if he'd only stop interfering with their broadcasts. In other versions, I hear that the farmer was ordered to stop. I don't know what the truth, if any, is. But I never heard about stealing through "EMF". You'd either want very high currents to tap into the magnetic field, or else very high voltage to tap into the electric field (but in the later case, if the field gets too high, the possibility of an arc-over from the HV to your equipment exists).

I've heard of farmers' cows "stealing" electricity from the overhead lines. They didn't enjoy it; they got a shock every time they took a drink of water. SOme poor farmer went out of business not knowing why his cows were perpetuately dehydrated.

The amount of electricity you could "pull" out of the air using e-m induction would be miniscule from ground level (the two or three power lines operate out of phase and effects would cancel) and outright fatal at close range.

That previous post about stealing AM radio power sounds neat, I'd try that first.

Hidden induction tapping of anyone's electrical power source, commercial or private, is illegal. The reason is that it DOES reduce the power output of the provider without their permission.
Aerial methods to extract DC from EM waves are common with any radio device(as that is how they function), but any concerted effort to set-up an aerial environment and use it to "gain or profit" to any substantive degree that notably effects provider services is prohibited. That is, create an aerial environment to extract radio waves to light an LED? Go for it. Do it to power your house and your neighbors reception is effected? No.

BTW, the costs associated with setting up an aerial EM extraction of any usefulness would be so expensive that one's monies would be far, far better spent on a quality solar cell array(and with no legal if's!)

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is a phenomenon where an electrical current is produced in a conductor due to a changing magnetic field. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for the functioning of generators and other electrical devices.

2. How is electricity stolen through induced EMF?

Electricity can be stolen through induced EMF by using devices such as inductive coils or capacitors to tap into the electrical lines and draw off the current without paying for it. This is commonly known as "power theft" or "electricity pilferage" and is considered a form of energy theft.

3. What are the consequences of stealing electricity by induced EMF?

The consequences of stealing electricity by induced EMF can be severe, both for the individual or entity committing the theft and for the wider community. It can result in hefty fines, legal charges, and even imprisonment. Additionally, this practice can also lead to power outages and damage to the electrical infrastructure, causing inconvenience and potential safety hazards for others.

4. How can electricity theft through induced EMF be prevented?

To prevent electricity theft through induced EMF, utility companies use measures such as advanced metering systems, tamper-proof meters, and regular inspections to detect and deter power theft. Additionally, educating the public on the consequences of stealing electricity and promoting legal ways to access electricity can also help prevent this issue.

5. Why is it important to address electricity theft through induced EMF?

Electricity theft through induced EMF not only causes financial losses for utility companies but also has a negative impact on the overall economy and the environment. It can also lead to unsafe and unreliable electricity supply, posing a risk to public health and safety. Therefore, it is crucial to address this issue to ensure fair and sustainable use of electricity for all.