Self-Induced Emf and Angular Frequency

In summary, the self-induced emf in an ac circuit with only one inductor increases with increasing angular frequency due to the proportional relationship between emf and the rate of change of current. This is because the reactance X also varies with frequency, resulting in a greater back EMF produced by the inductor. The inductance L, however, remains constant as it is dependent on the physical properties of the inductor and not on the current or frequency.
waley
The context is an ac circuit with only one element - the inductor. My textbook says that the self-induced emf increases with increasing angular frequency, but I'm having trouble seeing this mathematically. If self-induced emf = ε = -L(dI/dt) and L = X/ω, then emf and ω are inversely related. What gives??

Physics news on Phys.org
waley said:
The context is an ac circuit with only one element - the inductor. My textbook says that the self-induced emf increases with increasing angular frequency, but I'm having trouble seeing this mathematically. If self-induced emf = ε = -L(dI/dt) and L = X/ω, then emf and ω are inversely related. What gives??
The emf is proportional to rate of change of current. For a given RMS current, the maximum rate of change of current is proportional to the angular frequency (and frequency of course).
d(Sin(ωt))/dt = ωCos(ωt)
if you want to use f then there are some 2π's to be put in but the same answer.

Likes anorlunda
waley said:

Your problem here is that you lost track of what is the independent variable and what is the dependent variable.

If you've solved for the inductance of a solenoid, you'll see that it depends only on the physical property of the solenoid, i.e. the length, area, etc., not on the amount of current or the frequency. So L doesn't vary with angular frequency. It can't. This is similar to R not varying in R = V/I, even if I changes.

What you are forgetting is that the reactance X also varies with frequency. The quicker the current changes with time, the more back EMF the inductor will produce, and so, the greater the reactance. So it isn't just angular frequency that is changing, but also X.

Zz.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is self-induced emf?

Self-induced emf, also known as induced voltage, is the voltage produced in a circuit due to the changing magnetic field caused by a changing current flowing through the circuit.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of self-induced emf?

The magnitude of self-induced emf is affected by the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the circuit, and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. How is self-induced emf related to Lenz's law?

Lenz's law states that the direction of an induced current will oppose the change that caused it. In the case of self-induced emf, the induced current will create a magnetic field that opposes the change in the original magnetic field.

4. What is the formula for calculating self-induced emf?

The formula for calculating self-induced emf is E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced emf, N is the number of turns in the circuit, and (dΦ/dt) is the rate of change of the magnetic flux.

5. How does angular frequency relate to self-induced emf?

Angular frequency is a measure of how quickly the magnetic field changes in a circuit. It is directly proportional to the induced emf, meaning that an increase in angular frequency will result in a higher self-induced emf.