Some easy unsolved math problems (High school grade)

• Thread starter Atran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the conversation is discussing unsolved math problems and the difficulty the modern student may face in solving them. Suggestions for finding challenging problems are given, such as participating in math competitions and using Putnam style problems. Examples of simple arithmetic problems are also provided. The conversation also mentions some notable mathematicians and their contributions to the field.
Atran
Hi, I'm currently studying in high school. What I often find are complicated math unsolved problems which require quite deep math knowledge that is not really taught at my gymnasium.
Are there any open problems which fit me?

I know some easy problems such as: Is there any odd perfect number? Is 10 a friendly number?...
I'm much more interested in algebra, geometry, calculus and trigonometry than numbers alone.
I like finding a way/method using math symbols, I need problems which do not require big-number calculations.

Thanks for help...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what makes you think those two questions are easy?

By 'easy' I mean that it's easy to understand the question. For instance, I know what a perfect number is, so "is there any odd perfect number" question is understood by me.

Most of these unsolved problems have been studied for a while and as a result, mathematicians have developed complicated tools and abstractions to helps them with these problems. The modern student would build a foundation studying things like abstract algebra and analysis - building your knowledge of decades of math while also building your problem solving skills - so that you can study these problems later. This is not to discourage you from finding an odd perfect number, but it may take some time.

I would suggest going through Putnam (math competition) style problems if you are looking for a challenge at problem solving.

Here's a one that's a bit physics and a bit maths but maybe too easy.
1/R=1/R1 +1/R2 for parallel resistors.
How do you produce examples of this with whole number values only?
e.g. R1=14, R2=35 giving R=10.
R1=21, R2=28, R=24 gives exactly R=8.
R1=1400, R2=2600 produces 910 ohms.

You engineers will be the death of mathematical exactitude!
R1=25461230 ohms
R2=25375670 ohms
In parallel R(total)=12709189 ohms (exactly)!

Stan Ulam
"pure mathematician who had sunk so low that his latest paper actually contained numbers with decimal points" :smile:

Hi Atran, this problem doesn't require algebra, geometry, calculus or trigonometry. It is only arithmetic! So get a pencil out and a scrap of paper. Here's another example...
R1=10553063310 ohms
R2=154064581051 ohms
R (total) is still a whole number.

In reply to Xitami, Georg Ohm did okay out of the mathematical approach. It took Bavaria a while to realize it though. Stan Ulam is impressive too though! As is Stanisław Lem, an idea: explosive!

Related to Some easy unsolved math problems (High school grade)

1. What are some examples of easy unsolved math problems at the high school grade level?

Some examples of easy unsolved math problems at the high school grade level include the Collatz Conjecture, the Goldbach Conjecture, the Twin Prime Conjecture, the Riemann Hypothesis, and the Continuum Hypothesis.

2. Why are these problems considered unsolved if they are easy?

Despite their simplicity, these problems have not yet been proven or disproven by mathematicians. They may seem easy to understand, but finding a definitive solution requires complex and advanced mathematical techniques that have not yet been discovered or fully understood.

3. How long have these problems been unsolved?

The Collatz Conjecture and the Goldbach Conjecture have been around for centuries, while the Riemann Hypothesis and the Continuum Hypothesis were proposed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, respectively. The Twin Prime Conjecture was first stated in the mid-20th century.

4. Are there any consequences if these problems are not solved?

The consequences of these problems remaining unsolved vary. While they may not have any direct impact on everyday life, solving them could potentially lead to a better understanding of mathematics and the world around us. In some cases, the solutions could also have practical applications in fields such as computer science and cryptography.

5. Has anyone made progress towards solving these problems?

Many mathematicians have dedicated their careers to studying and attempting to solve these problems. While there have been some breakthroughs and progress made, none of these problems have been definitively solved yet.