Free-Will or Reality: Philosophical Debate

• Thread starter Paul Fernihough
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
In summary, the article in New Scientist discusses experiments that seem to violate John Bell's inequalities. The authors propose that one of four things is happening: a) something is faster than light and is communicating between the entangled photons, b) the experimenters have no free will, c) reality doesn't exist before it's experienced or measured, or d) Bell's inequalities are flawed. They want opinions from scientists and people who are religious about free will. Some people are drawn to the idea that reality doesn't exist unless it's experienced, while others are not so sure. The article ends by asking the question, "If I haven't perceived what is said to be real, is it?"
Paul Fernihough
Firstly, my apolgies if I've got this post in the wrong section, i trust the Mods will move it the right place if i have. Secondly, this is not a religious argument, merely where scientific reasoning & my own personal experiences have led me, I'd like rebuttals, opinions & thoughts to help stimulate my own thinking on this subject further. Best i get on with it then...

I read a very interesting article in New Scientist today about some quantum entanglement experiments conducted by Nicolas Gisin of the University of Geneva. The results seem to violate John Bells’ inequalities (possibly an understatement – they violate it by about 1000 standard deviations!) & thus prove one of 4 things :-

a) something traveling faster than light is communicating between the entangled photons. (at the moment their estimate is 10,000 times the speed of light)
b) the experimenters have no free-will to choose what to measure
c) reality doesn’t pre-exist before its experienced or measured.
d) Bell’s inequalities are flawed

I’m interested in what people think is going on here. At the moment I’m happy to assume that Bell’s inequalities are logically sound, they certainly appear to be to me anyway, tho I’m no logician. Which leaves the first 3 options… at the moment, I’m not tremendously happy with option a) either, but I don’t believe it can be ruled out. Again I’m going to assume that this is not the reason for the time being.

Which leaves options b) & c), which are real mind benders & philosophically very deep conclusions. These I want to explore a bit more in detail.

Option b) leads us to the conclusions that the experimenters are not in possession of genuine free-will & what they choose to measure has already been determined in advance. This is a hard thing to accept, but I’m willing to play with the idea that free-will is just an illusion on our part. So our thought processes have already been mapped out & what we decide to do, we were always going to decide what to do, regardless of the options we perceived ourselves to have in the first place. If this is the case then I believe spiritually this leaves us devoid, surely we’re as good as dead already without free-will?? I’m sure most would agree that free-will is an important principle in lifes’ merry dance, but does that mean it truly exists?

Option c) is the one I’m personally drawn to. Reality really doesn’t exist unless its experienced. Unless you measure something, it’s properties are not just unknown, they genuinely don’t even exist. This piqued my interest on a spiritual level; I have heard Buddhists say that ‘reality doesn’t exist unless we perceive it’ & that the only reason I can’t get my head round this is because I’m locked into a western mind-set. It sounds like an abhorrent idea at first glance, but is it really? Taken to its logical conclusion, the only reason the Universe (& everything in it) exists at all is that something is here to experience it.

I must say, I’m not a religious man at all, but recently I’ve been drawing in on the conclusion that Buddhists have developed a deep understanding of the world by looking inwards at their own minds & bodies rather than outwards (such as science does) & they seem to have come up with many of the answers long before us scientists. I’m sure I’m going to explore this personal epiphany in more detail in my future life, but for now, I’d be very interested in some more scientists thoughts & opinions on the subject of free-will & reality & the other questions I have posed here.

sorry for the mammoth post!

PMF

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you could go further to a more fundamental and personal level by questioning, "If I haven't perceived what is said to be real, is it?" In the end, I think it all boils down to individual perspective or perceptions. To me, I take reality to be a perspective, and hence I take truth to be perspective. To percieve 'more' of reality only changes this perspective, but we never get the 'real' reality. Likewise for free-will. Well...actually, I'd rather rephrase that as 'ignorence is bliss' :biggrin:

this reminds me of what renee descartes said "i think therefor i am" this states that the only known reality is himself and everyone else he created for his own amusement

1. What is the concept of free will?

Free will is the idea that individuals have the power to make choices and decisions that are not predetermined by any external factors. It is the belief that human beings have control over their actions and can choose to act in a certain way, even if other factors may influence them.

2. Is free will compatible with determinism?

This is a highly debated topic in the philosophical community. Some argue that free will and determinism are incompatible, as determinism holds that all events, including human actions, are predetermined by prior causes. Others argue that free will can still exist within a deterministic universe, as individuals may still have the ability to make choices even if those choices were ultimately determined by previous events.

3. Can free will be scientifically proven?

Free will is a philosophical concept that cannot be proven or disproven by scientific methods. While neuroscience and psychology may offer insights into the mechanisms behind decision-making, the existence of free will is ultimately a matter of philosophical debate.

4. How does the idea of free will relate to morality and responsibility?

The concept of free will is often linked to moral responsibility, as individuals are seen as responsible for their actions if they have the ability to freely choose them. However, some argue that this is not always the case, as external factors and circumstances may limit an individual's free will and therefore their moral responsibility.

5. Can free will be limited or restricted?

Again, this is a debated topic among philosophers. Some argue that free will can be limited by factors such as social conditioning, genetics, and past experiences. Others argue that despite these limitations, free will still exists and individuals can make choices within their constraints.