What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
wolram said:
Mushroom pudding, best made with mushrooms from a field where horses are kept, but any wild mushrooms are ok.
That sounds so good! But I think I'll stick to mushrooms from the store. I don't know enough about mushrooms to go picking any. :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I just got back in from putting more charcoal and hickory chips in the smoker. There's a 14# turkey in there (it went in around 8 am) and by 4, when the relatives show up, the meat will be falling off the bone.

Tip: Whether smoking or roasting, always cook your turkeys breast-down. That way, the fat from the dark meat and the back migrates down through the white meat, keeping it moist and tender. It also helps keep the richer dark meat from ending up too fatty. Some people grill poultry supported vertically on racks - if you do this, grill them head-down for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Oh, that sounds really good and easy (and certainly is no reason to be ashamed)! I was expecting batter or breading of some sort and deep frying. I think I'll have to get the ingredients next time I go grocery shopping and give it a try. :approve:
The breading-batter-deep-fry things are heart-stoppers. Poppers are fatty enough (if you like cheese!) without deep-frying them. The slow-cooked smoked pork spare ribs were a hit, too. They got just a bit crispier than I would have liked, but they disappeared with raves. I made over 5 lbs for 5 people, and we also had that big tray of poppers and two kinds of salads. Nobody left hungry!

turbo-1 said:
The breading-batter-deep-fry things are heart-stoppers. Poppers are fatty enough (if you like cheese!) without deep-frying them. The slow-cooked smoked pork spare ribs were a hit, too. They got just a bit crispier than I would have liked, but they disappeared with raves. I made over 5 lbs for 5 people, and we also had that big tray of poppers and two kinds of salads. Nobody left hungry!

What happened to the turky?

What are poppers?

turbo-1 said:
I'm giving your recipe a try right now! Except, they're in the oven, not on the grill. I didn't feel like grilling as it's already getting dark and the mosquitoes are out. Hopefully it'll be nearly as good as on the grill.

Wollie, the recipe is above...jalapeno poppers...jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese.

Edit: Ooh..yummy! These seemed like wimpy jalapenos...no heat at all...but still tasty. The bacon makes all the difference! :approve:

Last edited:
Has anyone tried one of those turkey fryers? There is NO WAY I'm getting near something with that much oil and flame. FOOM! Bye, bye Evo. :frown:

Evo said:
Has anyone tried one of those turkey fryers? There is NO WAY I'm getting near something with that much oil and flame. FOOM! Bye, bye Evo. :frown:
I haven't tried it myself, but I've known a couple people who have them. Don't use it unless you have a concrete patio or driveway or dirt patch to set it on. I've heard of people setting their decks on fire when they drop the turkey in one of those. The meat is really tasty though...but it takes a load of oil!

I've never had a problem just roasting a turkey the normal way. Just don't get anything over a 13 lb turkey. That's the only real secret to an evenly cooked, juicy turkey. If you get one much bigger, some ends up dried out before other parts are done. Oh, and I never tie up the legs. It doesn't look pretty, but I let the legs flop to the sides, and then the dark meat and white meat cooks through in the same amount of time, so you don't get a dry breast. Though, my friend who cooked Thanksgiving dinner on her own for the first time this year cooked the turkey upside down without knowing she was doing something wrong. :biggrin: It was pretty good...I think that saved the meat from being too dry when it was overcooked (it was falling off the bone, and had she cooked it right-side-up, it probably would have required an awful lot of gravy).

Evo said:

The first time i used a deep fat fryer it was on the hob all ready to go, so i turned the hob on for the oil to get hot, after about 3mins there came this horrible smell, mom rushed to kitchen and came back quite angry, she said
some thing like (you silly billy) that is an electric fryer, but how could i have known and what a daft place to put it.

Moonbear said:
I'm giving your recipe a try right now! Except, they're in the oven, not on the grill. I didn't feel like grilling as it's already getting dark and the mosquitoes are out. Hopefully it'll be nearly as good as on the grill.

Wollie, the recipe is above...jalapeno poppers...jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese.

Edit: Ooh..yummy! These seemed like wimpy jalapenos...no heat at all...but still tasty. The bacon makes all the difference! :approve:
I'm glad you liked them. They are a big hit at our get-togethers, and even people who normally avoid hot food wolf them down. Taking out all the seeds and the webbing from the inside of the peppers really tames the heat.

wolram said:
What happened to the turky?
We ate quite a bit of it, and our guests took quite a bit home. We are currently boiling the carcass on the side-burner of the grill (out on the deck) to make soup stock. Smoked turkey makes a wonderful soup.

wolram said:
The first time i used a deep fat fryer it was on the hob all ready to go, so i turned the hob on for the oil to get hot, after about 3mins there came this horrible smell, mom rushed to kitchen and came back quite angry, she said
some thing like (you silly billy) that is an electric fryer, but how could i have known and what a daft place to put it.
:rofl: Wolram, you're so funny. Of course, I would have killed you. :devil:

I had some smoked-turkey soup this afternoon, with potatoes, yellow onions, and green peas added. Heaven.

Penquin for dinner,

http://www.goliathcorp.com/penguin.html

The stupid looking seabird, once considered 'cute' and 'funny' but now known to be a violent desecrator of the beautiful unspoilt wilderness of Antarctica, will be available as a frozen dish by as early as next month. As part of the launch of this abundant new foodstuff, There will be a special penguin cookery show on GoliathChannel 16, as well as a highly amusing advertising campaign with the catchy phrase: 'P-p-p-prepare a p-p-penguin!'

I wonder if pengwuino will make people sick when they eat him

yomamma said:
I wonder if pengwuino will make people sick when they eat him

I would try licking him first.:smile:

wolram said:
I would try licking him first.:smile:
:blushing: :rofl:

Grilled cheese in 0:59 seconds

I figured this out just now for breakfast, negligible preparation time, and presumably healthier than the 'traditional' version (which involves frying in oil :frown: )

ingredients:
2 slices wheat bread
2 slices sliced cheese of your preference
fire extinguisher (opt.)

procedure:
(1) toasterate the bread slices on the lowest setting (~30 seconds)
(2) insert cheese
(3) bombard with 1 kilowatt of 2.45GHz radiation for roughly 17 seconds

I think we should be able to improve on this by one or two orders of magnitude. The problem with the microwave is that it disproportionately heats the cheese because of its moisture content (hence the toaster); now what if the bread were soaked in water? Would it heat both components equally?

Nope, doesn't work. Obviously toasting requires localized, concentrated heating at the surface, not diffuse heating throughout this (now very soggy) mess.

I give up!

What if you built a combined microwave/infrared heater? You could toast things at the same time. A heat lamp would be too diffuse; plus it might interfere with the microwaves. An infrared laser, in the hundreds of watts, might work. There would be a very small microwave-opaque window for the laser beam; and there could be a lens to give the beamline a divergence of several degrees. Actually that would be a useful kitchen appliance even without the microwaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to fry grilled cheese in oil (oil?). I prefer cooking it with a pat of butter, but you can just put it in the pan dry, or with a very small amount of butter to keep it from sticking. Or, pop it in the toaster oven.

I just had my first class in cooking from my dad this afternoon. We prepared (well, at least my dad) a typical south Indian rice dish known as the Biriyani. My region is famous for this particular dish . It is similar to the Chinese fried rice but is a lot more spicy with strong flavour elements .
The Biriyani we made was actually the prawn Biriyani, and it took about 1.5 hours to prepare.
I graciously offered to do the dishes after my dad did all the hard work.

Finally the moment of truth, time to eat . It was simply heavenly . The tender prawn meat seemed to melt in the mouth, and my taste buds just ran wild. It was the outcome of a good day's work :approve:

Rach3 said:
What if you built a combined microwave/infrared heater? You could toast things at the same time. A heat lamp would be too diffuse; plus it might interfere with the microwaves. An infrared laser, in the hundreds of watts, might work. There would be a very small microwave-opaque window for the laser beam; and there could be a lens to give the beamline a divergence of several degrees. Actually that would be a useful kitchen appliance even without the microwaves.
They already have combination microwave/convection ovens.

arunbg said:
I just had my first class in cooking from my dad this afternoon. We prepared (well, at least my dad) a typical south Indian rice dish known as the Biriyani. My region is famous for this particular dish . It is similar to the Chinese fried rice but is a lot more spicy with strong flavour elements .
The Biriyani we made was actually the prawn Biriyani, and it took about 1.5 hours to prepare.

Finally the moment of truth, time to eat . It was simply heavenly . The tender prawn meat seemed to melt in the mouth, and my taste buds just ran wild. It was the outcome of a good day's work :approve:
Awwww, that is so wonderful. :smile:

Moonbear said:

My wife has said that when we make them, she will reserve some of the seeds and mix them with the cream cheese and bacon to heat them up. Either that, or she will add in some of our home-made habanero sauce. That's a bright red, so it would add color to the filling.

Edit: She's planning something not quite so fatty, now. Stuff the jalapenos with her crab cake recipe, then top that with a little cheese. Either that, or stuff them with her salmon-loaf recipe with a little shredded cheese. She bought some jalapenos (the ones in the garden are still too small), and I'll let you know how the experiment turns out.

Last edited:
OK, we just had the crab jalapenos. My wife couldn't forsake the cream cheese, so she mixed that with canned crab, some lemon juice and some parsley from the herb garden, stuffed the peppers with that, and topped them with Monterey Jack. She left in about 1/2 of the seeds and all of the webbing, and the heat was a little too much for the crab, which got overpowered. Still nice, though. We're going to try the salmon soon. That's a much more flavorful seafood, and may be able to compete with the jalapeno.

I just wanted the thread to have 200 posts :biggrin:
Keep posting you foodies !

arunbg said:

I love Biriyani, especially Lamb Biriyani, and chicken is also good.

That's great that your dad is teaching you.

Ah, at last, I've perfected it! Guacamole for one, Moonbear style!

One very ripe avocado.
One plum tomato.
One thick slice of onion (don't use the whole onion, it'll be too much, and if you have a sweeter onion, like a Vidalia onion, even better, but then only take half a slice.
Half a lime.
A couple sprigs of cilantro (2 is more than enough unless you really love cilantro...use one sprig if you really don't like it much).

Peel the avocado and remove the pit, and lightly mash the avocado in a small bowl. Squeeze on the juice from the half lime. Finely mince everything else, and add it in. Mash it all up with a fork (you could also toss it into a food processor, but that seems like a lot of work for one person). Eat with tortilla chips. I think it'll be better if chilled to let the flavors mix more, but I didn't have enough patience to wait.

And since Cyrus is so worried about my sodium intake with the Tostitos scoops, I got different chips this time. Shearer's Cantina Style. Mmm...nice flavor without salt. But they are breaking in my guacamole. Oh well, it's good enough to lick off my fingers when I fish out the chips.

Moonbear said:
Ah, at last, I've perfected it! Guacamole for one, Moonbear style!

One very ripe avocado.
One plum tomato.
One thick slice of onion (don't use the whole onion, it'll be too much, and if you have a sweeter onion, like a Vidalia onion, even better, but then only take half a slice.
Half a lime.
A couple sprigs of cilantro (2 is more than enough unless you really love cilantro...use one sprig if you really don't like it much).

Peel the avocado and remove the pit, and lightly mash the avocado in a small bowl. Squeeze on the juice from the half lime. Finely mince everything else, and add it in. Mash it all up with a fork (you could also toss it into a food processor, but that seems like a lot of work for one person). Eat with tortilla chips. I think it'll be better if chilled to let the flavors mix more, but I didn't have enough patience to wait.

And since Cyrus is so worried about my sodium intake with the Tostitos scoops, I got different chips this time. Shearer's Cantina Style. Mmm...nice flavor without salt. But they are breaking in my guacamole. Oh well, it's good enough to lick off my fingers when I fish out the chips.
Mmmmmmmm, sorry, I have have to have salt on my chips.

Evo said:
Mmmmmmmm, sorry, I have have to have salt on my chips.
Well, they're not exactly salt-free, but very light salt. They had a lot more flavor than the salty brands, and I wasn't particularly craving salt. I'm sure the guacamole will taste just as good with salty chips. :biggrin:

chickenolivesal2ps6.jpg

I want this so bad. :cry:

Evo said:
chickenolivesal2ps6.jpg

:uhh: It looks like salad. Gosh, if a salad would make you that happy, I'll gladly have you as a dinner guest...that's a meal I can easily handle!

Evo said:
Chickenolives says the caption, so its roasted chicken, black olives, tomato, hard boiled egg, shallots(?) on a bed of lettuce or spinach, . . . and what's that in the back (top)? Is the dressing Italian? A vinagrette?

Looks good. :tongue2:

It would make a nice appetizer. :biggrin:

i love rice that's my own food i eat the most

I'm easy. Yes, that's a grilled chicken salad.