View Single Post
ThomasM
Aug31-06, 07:59 AM
P: 1
Hi, I'm new here and looking for a bit of help and some overall conversation on a new project I'm working on. It fundamentally surrounds an international online lottery pool where visitors can join, buy a lottery ticket and then use the power of numbers to decrease the odds of a potential win, and then share in the winnings equally.

We will be purchasing tickets on the order of 50,000 at a time.

A few questions that I have, some quite simple, so I apologize! Your help and insight is much appreciated.

I have written all the necessary scripts to generate a set of numbers - 6 number from 1-49. The script doesn't allow the same number to be chosen twice, for obvious reasons. I know need to ensure that any set of 6 numbers is unique, and hasn't been chosen before (sitting in the database). I of course need to compare all the possible variations of this 6 number set to the existing numbers in the db. I can't quite remember how to calculate how many variations a set of numbers can have - so I need to figure this out as well as some logic on how to run through all possibilities and do a compare. Can anyone shed a little light on this one?

Also, I'm looking for some collaboration on overall lottery probabilities and figures - If you are legitimately interested in this field and would like to help out in any capacity, please get in touch.

Thanks again! Thomas
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space