View Single Post
J-Man
Apr8-03, 09:54 PM
P: 202
Dj Sneaky Whiskers said:
This statement makes little sense to me. The implications of the stated 'observation', as well as the language used, is somewhat questionable to say the least.
I would say "very questionable" opposed to "somewhat questionable".
I wasn't sure exactly what I meant either. I couldn't come up with a good adjective and chose the poor phrase "down-to-earth". Then when even I didn't understand what that meant, I tried to clarify it better, but probably ended up muddling it further. I should have cut it shorter instead.

Why do you believe that women with a 'larger than normal' amount of common sense and an aversion to 'mind games' are drawn towards males for friendship? The insinuation of your statement appears to be either: a) the 'normal' amount of common sense for a woman is considerably less than that for a man, the difference acting as an obstacle to the establishment of friendship between the two genders; or b) (which is, I suspect, simply an unfortunate consequence of the way the observation was phrased) That it is just good common sense to make friends with men rather than women.
In no way did I intend to insinuate anything of the kind. I personally believe that neither men nor women are endowed with more common sense than the other based on their gender. As far as 'b' goes, I would say it is good common sense to make friends with people you get along with, (isn't that usually the case?) again not based purely on gender.

Equally dubious is the implication that 'mind games' are mainly the confined to women. Although not explicitly stated, your post does seem to infer this.
It was not explicitly stated because it is not what I would ever say.

I wasn't even considering the male gender in any of my pitiable phrases, and I was certainly not comparing women to men but to other women. "The type that doesn't play as many mind games" should be read as "the type of woman that doesn't play as many mind games as some other women do." Same thing for the "common sense" thing which, I agree, is particularly phrased poorly.

Let me try to start over....

I hear this a lot from women.
I don't think it's constrained to "female science nerds".
(so far so good...)
I'm not really sure what "type" of woman it is constrained to, if any, but I observe that many women that feel this way wouldn't be labeled a science nerd.