View Single Post
babygrace9
Apr28-08, 12:18 PM
P: 2
I've been having this problem for about a week now, and would love to hear from anyone who is familiar with Mathematica and can offer some insight:

I think the basic concept is simple. I have two variables, let's call them x and y, related in the following way:
y/(Exp[y] -1) = Log[1+x]/x

I know the value of x, and I would like to know the value of y. Thus I can employ FindRoot:
FindRoot[y/(Exp[y] -1) == Log[1+x]/x, {y, 1}]

If I have specified the value of x already, i get a good response from FindRoot, for example
In: x = -.6
FindRoot[y/(Exp[y] -1) == Log[1+x]/x, {y, 1}]
Out: {y -> -.916291}

However, what I really want is a function called F[x], such that when I feed any value of x to it, it will apply FindRoot and give the numerical value of y. I have tried the following equation:

F[x] := FindRoot[y/(Exp[y] -1) == Log[1+x]/x, {y, 1}]

and the equation
F[x] := x /. FindRoot[y/(Exp[y] -1) == Log[1+x]/x, {y, 1}]

and also the equation
F[x] /. FindRoot[y/(Exp[y] -1) == Log[1+x]/x, {y, 1}]

All of these give me an error, unless I have "preassigned" a numerical value of x. But I don't want to have a preassigned value of x, I want to be able to enter any value of x that I choose into F[x] and have FindRoot spit out a numerical value for y. Is this possible? Can anyone better at Mathematica than I am give me some advice? I would be forever in your debt, this has been driving me crazy.

Thanks,
Claire
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'