View Single Post
greatglory
Nov30-08, 07:38 AM
P: 27
Quote Quote by brewnog View Post
No, this is not the case. The flywheel will only allow you to extract the amount of energy you put in with your small engine (minus a bit for frictional losses in the bearings). The flywheel can store an amount of energy, but it will never be more than you put in with the small engine in the first place.

In my original post I mentioned that the flywheel was in a vacuum much as is outer space and that the engine was to be on constantly. Those who played the lunar landing games of the 1980's will remember that a burn accelerates the craft while a non-burn keeps it moving at the same speed. If when you apply a constant burn to a flywheel it keeps accelerating is not that the same as creating energy? Unless your arguement is that there will be no acceleration. Nor for that matter constant acceleration.

It's you who needs to check your maths (and understanding of basic thermodynamics) here. As Russ has already advised, a flywheel cannot 'produce' energy; only store it. You could run your engine for a year, and store lots of energy in the flywheel over a long period of time and recover this energy in a short period of time; but you'll never be able to get out of it more energy than you put in. The source (reciprocating engine, turbine, hamster wheel) is irrelevant here other than for practical considerations. End of story.
Forget if you will for a moment all LAWS and think about what I am saying. No new innovations have ever come about by men constrained in another man's law.