View Single Post
baywax
May9-09, 05:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,215
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
A couple of years ago I was discussing the idea that myths and legends often have a basis in truth, with a friend from Ireland. He laughed and demanded that I show him the little people, so I directed him to "Homo Floresiensis" as a possible explanation. The smile on his face suddenly disappeared.

When this story first broke, I started a thread about some of the legends and myths.
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=50855
I think I smiled bigger when I heard the news.

The existence and occurrence of the Indonesian "homosapien minimus" (not a real name) holds a lot of promise in uncovering the origin of many stories that have lasted 1000s of years in various human folklore. The stories are not passed along with a date, no copyright, so when we find possible, probable or definite sources of their content this helps to date the story and perhaps the era of that story.

For instance, there is a version of the Santa Claus tale from northwestern europe about Cinder Claus and his little black elf. Cinder Claus would reward any good children and the little black elf would stuff the bad ones in to Cinder Claus' bag and beat them with hammers... er... or like a broom or something (maybe a dash of waterboarding). Then they'd be abducted by the ruthless pair.

Looking at this tale with the knowledge of this Indonesian version of humans and with our knowledge of very early trading practices between Turkey and Scandinavia, (as early if not earlier than 300 AD after Scandinavians navigated the Dneiper River system through Russia to Istanbul) we can see that there may be a connection between the little black hellion and our Indonesian cousins. This is because once the Scandinavians got to Istanbul, they became privy to all of the blunders of the Turkish Empire and its outstandingly accurate navigational charts. On these charts are the Indonesian islands and their booty could have well included curious little "black" people that were perhaps collected and kept to breed during the previous millennia of Turkish history (of 23,000 yrs).

Thanks!