View Single Post
mgb_phys
Jun4-09, 09:29 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
I presume Airbus builds it's nose cones from carbon fiber. Why? because of the compound curvature of the surface and Airbus's dedication to reducing fuel costs from any quarter. If they don't build it from carbon, nevermind, I'm up the wrong tree.
Almost all nosecones are made from some sort of composite. They house the weather radar and putting your radar antennae inside a faraday cage has performance issues.

Changing fields on one side of a carbon fiber barrier can transmit to the other side. Simply put, carbon fiber makes a poor Faraday cage.
True but irrelevant, the individual avionics and the wiring is very well shielded.
The main issue with composite airframes and lightning is electrically bonding panels together, if there is a break in electrical continuity between a panel that is hit and an adjacent one you get arcing which leads to damage.

On the other side of the nose cone resides the main avionics systems, as far as I can tell.
The avionics racks are under and behind the cockpit as on most planes. This was the cause of a loss of a 737 a few years ago where a blocked coffee machine had been dripping coffee onto them for years unnoticed until they shorted out. The original 737 also had a problem with toilet cleaner leaking into them. They are better protected on later models.