Thread: Physicist title
View Single Post
Feb11-10, 05:30 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
ZapperZ's Avatar
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by Legion81 View Post
I'm not sure what section to post this in, so I guess this one will have to do.

I was recently told by an engineer that they have the title "Engineer" with a bachelor degree. I have always assumed the title "Physicist" was reserved for someone with a phd. But that got me to wondering, what do you call someone with a bachelor's or master's degree in physics? Does it depend on the place of employment? It seems misleading for someone to say they are a physicist if they don't have a phd.
Anyone with a physics degree, or working in physics, can call him/herself a physicist.

However, titles like this are often dependent on the nature of your job and your employment. There are many physicists who are called "Engineers", because that is the title of the job they do at the place of employment. The same is true for engineers that take on the responsibility of a physicists. So very often, your employment dictates your official title.