View Single Post
zoobyshoe
Aug10-04, 11:46 AM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by wolfblum
As far as "Faraday's Diary" is concerned, there is of course only one original set by him (bequeathed to, and in the possession of the Royal Institution in London. BTW, I have been there and snooped extensively, lots of forgotten and misconstrued stuff on exhibit, ask me sometime!)
Wow! That must have been fun!
There was one transcription and printing thereof (i.e., there was only one edition), and it was over a period of 1932 to 1936 by G. Bell and Sons of London
It's amazing to me there haven't been more editions.
Zooby, depending on what country/state you are in, you might be able access the set at a University library. If you want, let me know your rough location and I can run it through the International library database.
San Diego, Ca.
Sorry, I shouldn't be so gleefull.
Don't be hard on yourself. In your shoes, I would be insufferable.
So I propose to perhaps post one important experiment per week (this should keep the final total number of posts to about 60 or so.) I will not do this unless there appears to be some positive endorsement and agreement by the forum group as a whole.
Hmmm. My assessment is that the people interested would more likely form a small, enthusiastic group. Faraday is under- appreciated around here in my opinion and there is also a lack of interest in reading anyone's original papers for some reason.

Since you're willing to make the effort to copy them, though, it would be a shame not to get them onto the web somewhere. There is alot of interest at large in homopolar dynamos and Faraday.

What is the copyrite situation with these diaries? Any chance they're in the public domain?
As to the specific experiment I referred to and that you refer to Zooby, that one is very enlightening and I will post it over the next few days, OK?
That would be great. I'm looking forward to it. I had decided it must not be true before you came along.
Lastly, Zooby, I'm interested in acyclic/homopolar machinery from both a theoretical and practical viewpoint, hence my research over the past ten years or so - Wolf
My own interest is practical. I'm fascinated by how simple they are. I have a penchant for reducing things to the lowest possible level of complexity, labor, and expense, and maintenence. It's a kind of laziness, I guess.