View Single Post
am2010
Sep7-10, 03:55 PM
P: 15
Thanks G01!

As I said in my most recent post I realize that to base a career switch on a history of physics course would be a deep mistake. I took a calc course in college and received a B-. I was quite young then (started college in high school) and now years later (not to sound naive) but my mind seems to have developed into an ability of organizing data/systems, application of logic, etc. When I go back into my textbooks on differential equations for example I understand things in much deeper way that I didn't before.

That said, I'm more than willing to put in the work starting from the beginning if:

1. I am passionate about physics (which I believe I am)

2. I could be at least 'somewhat' successful in society. The reason I say somewhat is that I'm more interested in the insights,
the journey of exploring the universe(s) that physics could give me rather than collecting awards for my work.

#2 brings me to a point I touched in my recent post but perhaps I need to make clearer. I'm curious as to whether computational skills in physics (working out algebraic problems, etc) is not so much as important as an ability to conceptualize physical phenomena or what equations can actually produce. Algebraically solving equations is not my strong suit but with things such as differential geometry, topology, tensor field analysis etc. where I can conceptualize how the equations are working within a given space it becomes easier. Is it possible that physicists can have difficulty computing equations but not with the actual idea itself (Thus using math, however difficult, as the summation of that idea)?