View Single Post
Evil Bunny
Feb18-11, 02:23 PM
P: 237
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
It's worth pointing out, if you moved the generator so that the path to earth had less resistance than to the other pole, it would arc to the earth.
No it wouldn't. It's all about where these electrons want to go. They don't want to go to the earth, they want to go to the other pole. We talked about it in this very thread. If you put a straight wire from pole A to earth, virtually no current would flow (the same is true between pole B and the earth). If you put a straight wire from pole A to pole B the wire would quickly melt from all the current.

Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
This is like static electricity from a car.
No, it's not actually... And this is what I'm trying to find out. What is different about it? This "static" electricity that shocks you when you touch your door knob or your car or allows you to stick a balloon to the wall is the same as lightning.

But it's not the same as having a voltage potential between these two wires of the "source" (generator) and their relationship to the earth.

This is the whole point of the thread. I'm looking for an explanation of what is different about it.

I guess I'm just not explaining it very well. I'm probably not asking it the right way or something.