View Single Post
liamdavis
Apr4-11, 05:25 PM
P: 30

Fukushima, Japan Constructing an Effective First Response

Quote Quote by M. Bachmeier View Post
There are tons of answers to your questions at: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=480200

but there is a lot of reading, much of which is beyond me.

I'll try to give you a start. Psychological.

An event, that was planned for in most respects, occurred, 9.0 mag earthquake. What wasn't planned for was the tsunami that followed. Yes you would say that some predicted this possible event, but humans are ruled, to some extent, by the "Just World Phenomenon".

Would you willingly cross a busy street knowing that there's a real chance of getting run over. If you allowed yourself to embrace the random danger of existence you would be immobilized by fear. So we simple humans put aside our fear and cross the street every day, because failure to do so would ensure negative consequences.

It's very hard for anyone planning a worst case scenario to be objective to the (N)th degree. A hundred years from now historians may look back at our time and say, "How could have they been so careless?" They would be wrong, just as some historians are wrong in their assessment of our past. We, all of us, take our best path toward a single goal. Survival...

That's my Psychological perspective...
Thank you. I have been able to read the entire thread and (barely) keep up with it. I started this thread in order to keep from distracting from the focus of that thread.

I realize that people have a sense that how things are is how they have been and how they will be. However, the people who design and establish the emergency procedures for nuclear power plants must look beyond their comfort level in planning. According to documents cited in the thread you link to they have done so. This situation presented unique problems with a very short window of opportunity for action. Given that those responsible for responding cognizant of the consequences (I an confident that they were) there is more inertia in the response than I can understand.