View Single Post
Rive
May16-11, 10:07 AM
P: 337
Quote Quote by Curium View Post
Yeah, seems possible that stuff ejected from the reactor could have gone into the pool when the building blew up, if that is what happened. Question is how much is "high levels of I-131", what does that mean quantitatively? Then extrapolate that amount back two months, equals about 8 half-lives, meaning 'quantity x' to the eighth power was present at the beginning.
With the steam flowing continuously (nighttime pictures) we have a possibly continuous, unpredictable source of I-131 with unknown volume. So with only one sample (I know about only one sample) any deep 'analysis' is just guessing.

Quote Quote by Curium View Post
The original source is an NRC document about the Fukushima crisis
It'll be this one I think: http://cryptome.org/0003/daiichi-assess.pdf

All it has is:
Fuel pool is heating up but is adequately cooled, and fuel may have been ejected from the pool (based on information from TEPCO of neutron sources found up to 1 mile from the units, and very high dose material had to be bulldozed over between Unit 3 and 4. It is also possible the material could have come from Unit 4.)
What's only a 'may have been'.

IMHO it's unlikely that fuel ejected, and found only a mile away and right near the reactor, and nowhere else around the site (it's quite easy to notice ejected fuel by the alarming dosimeters :-) ). So that early 'may have been' actually is a 'not likely' and should not be taken as a fact and used as backup for wild speculations.

PS.: of course: IMO.