View Single Post
DragonPetter
Jun4-11, 04:29 PM
P: 834
Quote Quote by AmagicalFishy View Post
I think I understand what's going on; it seems to me a difference in perspective, which makes it look as if several viewpoints are at odds.

In the original quote you'll notice it was said, "We do know a great deal about its effects. Those effects are seen as patterns in changes of velocity. We know neither the origin of electric charge or of polarity." ó It was stated that we do know a great deal about the patterns and effects of charge. I think Studiot makes a very good point; no one meant to imply we were ignorant in regards to charge, but that the existence of charge is an proven axiom of physics.

I admit that perhaps the only mistake was the way the original poster worded what he said, which did seem to mystify the subject more so than notóbut I understand now what he meant by that.

So, back to the "difference in perspective": Would you agree that charge is a proven physical axiom of sorts? One that we know voluminous amounts about, but remains an axiom none the less?
I would argue charge is not just an axiom, it is proven by observation just like any less fundamental explanation of physics. Axioms imply self-evidence, but I don't think anyone can say that charge is self-evident; it is not something we take for granted. It is very much a reality from what we see in the real world.