View Single Post
Mépris
Jul6-11, 12:05 AM
P: 826
what I see is that people with stuff get more stuff, and people without stuff get less stuff.

My first priority over the last decade was to work like hell to get myself in a situation where I was on the right side of that line. Now that I think that I'm on the right side of that magic line, I'm trying to figure out what to do next.
Amen. Exactly my intended course of action. The ability to get stuff is one of the reasons I won't do a PhD right after my undergrad. I doubt I will go beyond an MS (4-5 years post high school). I don't want to be thirty years old with a PhD and no work experience. I'd rather have that extra 3-5 years where I've been earning enough money and then I'll do the PhD after...unless my interests have changed by then!

Quote Quote by twofish-quant View Post
Except that there ***are*** good reasons for stressing out. There is this belief that if you don't go into the right schools and do the right careers, you are doomed. I'd like to say that's a silly belief and it's not true, but honestly *I CAN'T*.

If you don't like the system, then step back and think about it, and figure out how you want to change it. Hopefully you'll think of something that we older people have missed.
I thought about it. My conclusion is that there are more factors involved with this and I should get up to speed with my "other" reading first (especially economics) and then come up with an answer. Even then, it won't be an absolute. Well, I seriously doubt it anyway.

I happen to think that too many people want to get degrees/are going to university. Not everyone has to. A lot of them go with the intention of "finding a "good job" after". If finding a "good job" is what you want, maybe a vocational qualification will be more suited to your needs.