View Single Post
OmCheeto
Oct2-11, 05:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by PBechthold View Post
-to omcheeto-
JESUS MAN! Scary.
The battery is inside the garage, i am running the cables for everything through a crack i found in the cinder block foundation. (Old house. don't ask).
>I have measured the solar panels voltage to be ( 17.6-18V)
>When I test power output of battery I am still getting the 10.99V (this is with the solar panel hooked up)
>When I test battery without solar panel hooked up I get (10.8 V)

I am only charging via solar because i do not own a trickle charger. I may buy one at some point because it would be useful for other things as well.

So the battery seems to max out its charge at 11V. which would mean one of the cells is still reversed? Bah. I will be replacing battery for sure. but I should ask: Can I leave it in use until I find a new one? I am hoping to let it charge up and I will just run the lights 4 hours a night until halloween.

Since your battery was pretty close to zero capacity and your charger only puts out an amp, it would take ~60 hours of sunlight to fully charge it.

The funny thing about a really badly damaged battery is that the same thing will occur when you try and charge it. The same bad cell will reverse polarity and your charging voltage will go down, when it should be going up.

As I said, we can walk you through load/capacity checking when(if ever) your battery is ready.

As far as I can tell, if you were right now to unhook your panel and hook up your lights, the voltage would probably drop below 10.5 volts within minutes, if not seconds.

Do not let your voltage drop below 10.5 volts. Ever.

ps. It's been 30 years since I've actually studied lead acid batteries, so you will have to forgive me if it takes time for some of these old memories to come unhinged from the cobwebs.