View Single Post
jgb
Nov9-11, 08:36 AM
P: 12
I would like some "simple" (yeah, right!) math formulas that I can create an EXCEL spreadsheet to calculate flight profiles for a sub-orbital space plane with a 2,000 to 12,000 mile range. Please note, my math skills are 45 years old. If, as I suspect it will, calculus is involved, I would need some way to convert those formulas to EXCEL multi-cell formulas.

I found some flat earth formulas, but they are only valid for a few dozen miles.

The base vehicle would be a 2 stage flying wing air breathing subsonic booster to about 50,000 ft launching the sub-orbiter.

The SO would be rocket powered on accent, coast sub orbital, then rocket braked to slow below M1.5 - M2 above the denser air, with a short jet powered conventional flight to destination. Rocket braking avoids high temperature aerodynamic braking, and reduces the G forces. This makes for a much lighter and less exotic vehicle.

Yes, I fully realize this is not the most efficient way to do sub-orbital flight, but the technology is far simpler and I can use brute thrust to get over the hump. Plus I've developed a proprietary way to make these vehicles about 60% the weight of conventional construction.

I need the formulas that can account for weight to thrust, specific maximum G forces on acceleration and deceleration (nominally max 2G) so I can calculate fuel volumes that will control the airframe design.

If there is honest interest I can define more details here, but for the really seriously interested I will provide far more via PM, except for some proprietary stuff that is being patented.

Anybody interested???

jgb
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage