View Single Post
gneill
gneill is online now
#6
Dec10-11, 08:00 PM
Mentor
P: 11,443
Quote Quote by BetoG93 View Post
Gneill, I think that efficiency here refers to energy; in other words, only 82% initially available energy is useful, and the other 18% is converted to other forms of energy.
Okay, suppose it is so. Can you suggest how the efficiency might have been determined? Was it measured by running a single cart down one side and up the other? Is it independent of total path length? (if you change the initial height h1, does it affect the result?) Does it depend upon the slopes of either side? Normal force (hence friction) depends upon angle, so can "efficiency" be independent of slopes?

Perhaps the OP has been given a particular working definition of efficiency that can be applied here?