View Single Post
Dannjell
Dec16-11, 10:47 AM
P: 3
Hello everyone. My first post so bear with me.

I'm planning on buliding an arcgenerator (and possibly an arc speaker later on if this works) with my arduino and a coil. I'm relatively to electrical engineering, so there are a few things I need some help with.

If i've understood things correct, when there is a change of a surrounding magnetic field around a coil, power is induced in the coil. And the output U from the coil is depending on the ratio between the primary and secondary coil.

So with the help of my arduino, I will have a PWM out connected to a transistor, which is connected to a coil (similar to an ignition coil in a car), and the voltage will amplify while the current will decrease.

Here's a drawing:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/ritning.jpg/

(sorry for my poor circuit drawing skills...)

So my questions are:

* Is this even possible? Am I thinking right?

* Will my arduino board be affected by the amplified voltage? (In other words, will it be damaged?

* Are there any other components that should be included? Resistors, voltage dividers etc...

* How will the amount of turns on the coil affect the outcome? 10turns/20turns have the same ratio as 100turns/200turns, but I have a feeling the outcome won't be the same?

Thanks!

/D
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes