View Single Post
timsea81
Jan24-12, 06:01 AM
P: 90
I feel I must warn you about the math major route. That's what I did, thinking, like you, that it would keep the door open to any number of industries for a job that involves calculations of some sort. The industry I ended up in was engineering, working for a consulting firm that designs building systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical distribution, etc). In this industry what you need is a PE (professional engineering) license. If you don't have one, or are working towards one, you don't get far. The problem with a math degree is that in almost every state (I'm talking about the U.S. here) a math degree puts you in the same category as having no degree with respect to getting this license, which means that with an engineering degree you need 4 years of working experience, but with a math degree you might need 12-15. This is why I'm going back for my master's in engineering. If I had majored in engineering the first time around, things would be a lot better for me. That said, if you're certain that you want to go to graduate school as soon as you're done with your BS degree, it would be a different story. But a BS degree in Math alone won't get you very far, at least in my experience.