View Single Post
llstelle
Feb11-12, 08:19 PM
P: 20
I've been looking up reviews of queueing theory textbooks and seeing their tables of contents on Amazon, but I haven't found a satisfactory one.

In particular, I'm trying to tackle a class of problems where there is a bunch of resources (for example, memory in a computer or empty seats in a train), we assume that the resources are in a "linear sequence" (incoming people on the train have to pass by the first row of seats, then the second row, and so on...) and a way with dealing with queueing the "users" of these resources (for example, computations that require memory or commuters who are boarding the train).

I get to control the way/arrival rate at which these users "enter" the queueing system, and the resources are separated in discrete uniform distribution - if a memory block is already allocated to a computation, the incoming computation cannot use that memory block and travels to the next (takes a constant time) - or even better, I send the first computation ahead in the sequence of memory blocks and then have the subsequent computations occupy "preceding" memory blocks, so they never actually have to "meet".

And what I really want to do is figure out given limited resources, what is the maximum number of computations/users I can accommodate.

I am guessing this is a network of G?/D?/1 queues or something... I don't know; I've never done queueing theory before, so I'll like to know where I can know more about problems like this. I noticed that most queueing theory texts cover Markov processes first (with Poisson arrival rates), i.e. M/M/s, but here I can actually decide the calling population and control their arrival rates to eliminate waiting time altogether, and there isn't much literature on G/D distributions...

OK, basically... can someone point me in the right direction for more literature? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100