View Single Post
Ryan_m_b
Mar6-12, 01:09 PM
Mentor
P: 5,403
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
My first "not deeply" thought is that if the US moves to a true socialized health care, I'd want tobacco, alcohol, cheeseburgers and tootsie pops banned. I'd want helmets mandatory for bikers. This would just be the start. I have absolutely zero problem paying towards a child needing a cancer treatment or any other reasonable medical scenario. There is a part of me however that pauses when asked to help pay for someone's very poor decision. I know it's an impossible line to draw, but there are really terrible decisions being made all the time and I'm not sure I want to pay for them. Does that make me a bad person, I don't know.
(Emphasis mine) Indeed it is a hard line to draw. One might argue that people partaking in extreme sports bring it on themselves when they have accidents or people who eat poorly because they can't afford good food might get caught in the system. If an insurance based universal system was implemented this could be tailored to the patient's needs/behaviours.

Personally I wouldn't advocate this however I like it how it is now in the UK where self-inflicted puts you at a low priority and bans you from certain procedures unless you change e.g. liver transplants for alcoholics.