View Single Post
ThinkToday
Mar9-12, 03:21 PM
P: 172
Quote Quote by JDoolin View Post
I think there are a couple different concepts of cronyism which ought to be distinguished.

(1) choosing a trusted friend for a job instead of a stranger with similar or better (at least on paper) qualifications
(2) choosing an accomplice for a crime instead of a stranger with better qualifications

With part (1) is it better to hire the guy who has a shining resume, but you've never met, or is it better to hire the guy you KNOW you can trust to do the job. Obviously, you want to hire the guy you KNOW you can trust to do the job.

On the other hand, part (2) is it better to hire the guy who has the shining resume, but you've never met, or is it better to hire the guy you KNOW will DO HIS JOB POORLY, and by failing to do their job well, will help you make thousands, millions, or billions of dollars?

Where can a person help you make money by NOT doing their job? An incomplete list.
  • price-fixing
  • insider trading
  • dangerous deregulation
  • scam
  • patenting things you didn't invent
  • failure to enforce rules
  • enforcing rules that help you and hurt others
  • Selling things to you at obscenely low prices
  • Being easily duped
  • Being easily bought
3) Choosing a qualified person with a shared common vision that supported you
4) Choosing a qualified person with a shared common vision that supported you over a person with a shared common vision that didn't support you.
5) Choosing a qualified person with a shared common vision that supported you over a person that is qualified that doesn't support your approach.

"Cronies" aren't always crooks.

I'm fine LEGALLY rewarding supporters. I doubt many of us would support rewarding crooks.