View Single Post
einfall
Dec9-12, 08:09 AM
P: 11
I have a question about observing a field of radiated light (and it's source) through a microscope, specifically vis magnification and the scale of the final image observed (the field, and also the source).

I have a slice of field intensity at the plane of a microscope's numerical aperture (i.e. all light entering the appropriate half-cone angle of 20 degrees). It's an accurate map of the intensity it looks as expected.

The objective is 75x, and the aperture sits about 1mm from a light source (a particle) with well-known dimensions.

WHAT I AM CONFUSED ABOUT:

Since the particle sits 1mm below the plane of the field I've calculated, how do I apply the 75x magnification to both the field and the particle to reform an image with appropriate dimensions (i.e. what I see when I look through the microscope)?

The most obvious approach to me is to take the objective's focal-length, and then ray trace the field and the particle independently to the same image observation-point. Then put them back together. But this isn't giving the result I expected (particle location/dimensions don't make sense relative to the field).

A reminder of the basic optics here would be highly appreciated, as this has me irritatingly confused.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)