View Single Post
Danger
Apr13-05, 01:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by Pre-AlgebraDude
Funny...I always thought all the old muscle cars shared a lot of the same features...especially Chevy, excluding the El Camino.
Actually, there were different Caminos depending upon what year they were made. Mine is based on a Malibu, but others used a modified Impala, and there were one or two more. There was even one called a Sprint, that was just a tad smaller and manufactured by GMC truck division instead of Chev. I get away with my bumper height because my mechanic wanted a black interior, so he used the dash out of a Sprint. I took the VIN from it instead of the door, so it's registered as a truck. He built the thing for himself and it was off-road only, plus used for pushing vehicles around his shop yard. It took over 2 1/2 hours to get the thing registered to make it street-legal. I'd been bugging him about it for years, and he finally decided to sell it right at the time my Camaro died.

You must be crazy...
When have you ever heard me claim otherwise?

What kind of tranny you got on that thing?
She's a weird mix, alright. Custom welded-in motor mounts to fit the Olds motor into the bay; custom bellhousing to mount a Chev Turbo 350 auto (with manual valve-body so I can shift it myself or let it go auto) onto the Olds motor; custom adaptor plate to mount the GMC transfer case to the Chev tranny... And it has no 2WD option. It still has the two levers, for HI/LOW range and 2/4, but there's a differential inside the transfer case. The way I drive it normally sends 70% power to the rear axle and 30% to the front. Shifting it back locks the centre differential into a 50/50 split. And believe it or not, in low range it'll chirp those 33-inchers going into 2nd.