View Single Post
honestrosewater
Sep8-05, 04:27 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,330
Yeah, the Sunshine Skyway is pretty from a distance. I haven't crossed it in ages - don't like driving on bridges. I guess NYC and DC are decent examples. I'm talking about buildings (and I suppose all infrastructue) where people live and work. The buildings that we spend our daily lives in: homes, office buildings, libraries, schools, stores, parks, etc.

I get the feeling that people think building for the centuries is not practical or worth the investment, and that's what I'm questioning: Is it not worth the investment? Could we make it practical with better planning and cooperation? Would living in and amongst buildings that could still be standing - and that people would want to maintain - for centuries to come have a positive effect on your daily lives? They wouldn't need to be especially beautiful or ornate, just substantial, made with care and an emphasis on craftsmanship; structures that you feel are like heirlooms. I don't know whether I would eventually cease to be inspired by my surroundings if I lived somewhere like Rome, but I know that living in and amongst disposable buildings is depressing; There's no reason to care for or about them. And the lack of care or investment that went into them is, well, not quite repulsive but at least disheartening.