Math - Career Choice??

by rad0786
Tags: career, choice, math
rad0786
Jul2-06, 08:49 PM
P: 188
Hi,

I was wondering if the mathematicans on the forums could help me out with my choices for the next few years?? (i am going to speak to my undergrad counciler in a few weeks)..

I am starting 3rd year Math (CORE programme) in September. I am also Minoring in Finance (Commerce Department).

In the Future I want to go to grad school for Financial Mathematics!

Would my minor in finance play a really good role? I could ditch the minor and pick up more undergrad math classes....

So my question is is it worthwhile to take a Minor in Finance or take more undergrad math classes TOO prepare me for an a Master in Mathematical Finance?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
J77
Jul4-06, 03:23 AM
P: 1,157
Do you want to work in research or for, eg., an investment bank?
rad0786
Jul6-06, 01:10 PM
P: 188
Nope... I want to do a Masters in Financal Math... and I was wondering if a Minor in Finance would be worth doing...

In the far future, I hope to pass all actuary exams and work as an actuary.

matt grime
Jul6-06, 04:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,398

Math - Career Choice??

Quote Quote by rad0786
Hi,

I was wondering if the mathematicans on the forums could help me out with my choices for the next few years?? (i am going to speak to my undergrad counciler in a few weeks)..
well, we might not be the best people to ask, since by and large we have no interest in finance, or mathematical finance or economics (and we seem, on the whole, to find the whole thing a little bit silly - pushing money around to make money does not appeal to our vocational souls; we're earning a pittance in the public sector when far less intelligent people are making thier fortunes for a reason, though that might depend on your definition of intelligence I suppose...)

I am starting 3rd year Math (CORE programme) in September. I am also Minoring in Finance (Commerce Department).

I had no idea such a thing even existed.
Pythagorean
Jul8-06, 03:51 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,195
Quote Quote by rad0786
Hi,

Would my minor in finance play a really good role? I could ditch the minor and pick up more undergrad math classes....

So my question is is it worthwhile to take a Minor in Finance or take more undergrad math classes TOO prepare me for an a Master in Mathematical Finance?
I agree with Matt's analysis, that a large body on here are interested in science, not finance, but I still have an opinion:

I think minoring in finance would be a bit redundant when you're doing Mathematical Finance. On the other hand, trying a minor in economy or game theory or even business psychology might provide some interesting insight into the roles of mathematical finance (whatever that is).

I'm only assuming subtly in my subconscious what mathematical finance is though, so I may be 'zooming out' too much from your interests
Wishbone
Jul8-06, 03:12 PM
P: 146
Quote Quote by matt grime
well, we might not be the best people to ask, since by and large we have no interest in finance, or mathematical finance or economics (and we seem, on the whole, to find the whole thing a little bit silly - pushing money around to make money does not appeal to our vocational souls; we're earning a pittance in the public sector when far less intelligent people are making thier fortunes for a reason, though that might depend on your definition of intelligence I suppose...)

what a terrible generalization about the finance inudstry, and the intellegence of the people in it. Im not reading about your noteworthy causes in the physcs papers...
matt grime
Jul8-06, 04:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,398
I did point out that we might not be the people to consult for a reasoned opinion about the subject. Mathematicians on the whole have quite strong opinions about these things, some reasonable, some not so, but ask and we shall tell. The thought of solving pdes or writing computer algorithms to help stupidly rich companies become even more stupidly rich is not one that seems to appeal to many (research) mathematicians I know: that is why we're doing research. Almost all of us have had the offers to become quant analysts or, heaven forfend, accountants, and turned them down to do something else. Perhaps you would have preferred (as perhaps would I, I think) if I'd've used 'less mathematically able' than 'intelligent'.
leon1127
Jul9-06, 02:26 AM
P: 487
Quote Quote by matt grime
I had no idea such a thing even existed.
it exists for example at university in chicago.

financial mathematic is a goal of mine too. I am in the same situation as you do too. I am a third year student in a US school.

as far as i know, this degree would like you to have working experience in financial industry. Basic knowledge of accounting and finance is recommanded by most good school. This degree is very similar to operational research, and computational finance. Also, this is a professional degree in most school just like MBA, it would be nicer if you obtain your MS degree in academia. post what classes you ahve taken, I can give you my OPINION, not experience tho
mathwonk
Jul9-06, 12:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,422
if we didn't feel smarter than people in finance, we would be miserable looking at their average salaries!

in my dads old joke book there was some exchange between a wise acre hobo and a rich man like: "if you are so smart, why arent you rich?"

"well if you are so rich, why aint you smart?"

Register to reply