by wolram
Tags: clear, divisions, humans, time
Share this thread:
wolram
Oct16-06, 02:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,684
can anyone tell me when humans first used clear time divisions of day, night,
I do not mean terms like sun up or sun down, i mean artifical divisions.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Tax benefits for housing not as outsized as previously thought, study says
Paleolithic diet may have included snails 10,000 years earlier than previously thought
Neanderthals and humans had 'ample time' to mix
selfAdjoint
Oct16-06, 05:04 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Quote Quote by wolram
can anyone tell me when humans first used clear time divisions of day, night,
I do not mean terms like sun up or sun down, i mean artifical divisions.
Well there are bones from the Cro-Magnon era ( circa -25,000) carved with notches that have been interpreted as counting days between full (or maybe new) moons. So "days" but not "days and nights".

At the other end we have the Babylonians around -2500 who counted daytime hours but not nightime ones, implying they made the distinction.

Somewhere in between people decided to count days and nights separately.
wolram
Oct17-06, 12:45 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,684
Quote Quote by selfAdjoint
Well there are bones from the Cro-Magnon era ( circa -25,000) carved with notches that have been interpreted as counting days between full (or maybe new) moons. So "days" but not "days and nights".

At the other end we have the Babylonians around -2500 who counted daytime hours but not nightime ones, implying they made the distinction.

Somewhere in between people decided to count days and nights separately.

Yes, i did read about the cro-magon bones some time ago, that idea seems a little tongue in cheek though.

Register to reply