Moment Generating Functions and Probability Density Functions

by arunma
Tags: density, functions, generating, moment, probability
arunma
Nov10-06, 02:05 AM
P: 908
I was reading that moment generating functions have the property of uniqueness. So just wondering: is there a way to get a probability density function from a moment generating function?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
mathman
Nov10-06, 03:59 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,935
The Fourier transform of the density function (called the characterictic function) can be obtained from the moments. The inverse transform of the ch. func. will give you the density function back. For distribution functions without a density, it is a little more complicated.
marcmtlca
Nov11-06, 12:36 PM
P: 16
note: If the mgf exists in a neighborhood around 0 then the characteristic function = mgf(i*t)

orstats
May5-08, 09:49 PM
P: 14

Moment Generating Functions and Probability Density Functions

Hello:

I am referring to 'Table of Laplace Transforms' by Roberts&Kaufman. But I cannot seem to get a soln for the following Fourier Transform to retrieve my probability density f(x)

c2 * Integral{e^(iwx) * sinh[sqrt(2w)c1] / sinh[sqrt(2w)pi] dw} = f(x)

where -pi< c1 <=0 and c2 is a constant that scales the integral appropriately so that f(x) is p.d.f. Thanks for your help!
ssd
May6-08, 12:14 PM
P: 239
Quote Quote by arunma View Post
I was reading that moment generating functions have the property of uniqueness. So just wondering: is there a way to get a probability density function from a moment generating function?
In general, moment generating functions DO NOT have the property of uniqueness. C.F. s are unique.

Register to reply