Register to reply

Thinking about getting a PhD in Scientific Computing

by octol
Tags: computing, scientific, thinking
Share this thread:
octol
Dec11-06, 01:57 PM
P: 61
So I've got an MSc in Engineering physics and I'm now deciding if I should go find a job in the industry, or stay in school to get a PhD, more specifically in Scientific computing and numerical analysis. Getting the PhD is very temping, but the main thing holding me back is that I don't know how easy it is to get a job in the industry afterwards.

So I'm wondering, does anyone know how big (or small) the demand is for PhD's in Scientific computing in the industry?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
octol
Dec13-06, 07:48 AM
So noone has any experience about PhD's in scientific computing/numerical analysis?
marlon
Dec13-06, 08:01 AM
P: 4,006
Quote Quote by octol View Post
So noone has any experience about PhD's in scientific computing/numerical analysis?
Yes, i am doing a PhD in computational physics in THIS place. I work on the interface between a metal gate and the high k dielectric of a MOSFET transistor.

marlon

J77
Dec14-06, 08:04 AM
P: 1,157
Thinking about getting a PhD in Scientific Computing

Can you be more specific?

ie. numerics with respect to what application?
octol
Dec14-06, 01:45 PM
Quote Quote by J77 View Post
Can you be more specific?

ie. numerics with respect to what application?
Well, for example these projects here:
http://user.it.uu.se/~gkreiss/doktorandannons.htm
I'm most interested in something similar to the one mentioned there about multi-phase flow. Does such a PhD have any future in the industry?
J77
Dec15-06, 03:14 AM
P: 1,157
Well, for example these projects here:
http://user.it.uu.se/~gkreiss/doktorandannons.htm
I'm most interested in something similar to the one mentioned there about multi-phase flow. Does such a PhD have any future in the industry?
Yeah - for example, in the UK, a lot of PDE people I know have gone into (inudstrial) consultancy. This involves stuff like, eg., modelling and working on the longitivity and decommision of nuclear reactors.

Sounds like an open project that one - possible applications are obviously geo-reservoir type stuff - I did something similar for my masters (check out this place: http://www.bpi.cam.ac.uk/)

Register to reply